Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

'single status' meeting at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
no it's nothing to do with relationships lol

i work in a school as support staff and on tuesday we have a meeting to discuss 'single status' - from what i've read it's quite confusing is there anyone who can break it down a bit for me? the HR lady who told us about it has said that we'll find out about it when we have the meeting, from experience, this is never a good thing and there's a lot of websites dedicated to saying it's an excuse for paycuts more than anything else :s

can anyone fill me in on this?

Comments

• Options
    http://www.atl.org.uk/pay-and-pensions/pay-background/pay-background-support-staff.asp

just found this :s this is quite confusing, also would it be advisable to quickly sign up to a union if need be?
  • Options
    I interviewed a candidate for a job who kept banging on about 'single status'. I thought he was talking about his relationship.

From what I understood, it means down grading staff and sacking people. :thumb:
  • Options
    As I understand it, the idea is that for support staff across a local authority there should a single scale for evaluating pay scales and conditions for employees.

From reading through the link this means that a local authority would need to evaluate where staff will sit on this single scheme - rather than having one scheme for school support workers, and others for other support roles across the council.

I'm guessing that the problem comes in because local authorities may use this to evaluate roles below where staff believe they should be - or evaluate them to be below the pay scale they are currently on.

The process would seem to be that your role would be assessed, followed by you being told where you are graded on the new pay scale. I'd suggest the main things to keep an eye on would be that everything you do is including in the grading review to make sure your placed at a point you think is fair.

However it's also worth noting that UNISON's briefing sees single status as an important step to equal pay - that it can be used to improve the pay of staff not getting enough, without harming the wages of others. However it may not be implemented that way.

here's their link -

http://www.unison.org.uk/acrobat/14954.pdf
  • Options
    i had my follow up meeting to discuss job descriptions which was good for job descriptions, we came to quick agreement on that thankfully

however i put across that despite my contract specifically stating 35 hours a week, i actually work a 38-40 hour week, and since this redrawing of contracts is designed to make the pay scales fairer i think my contract should represent the effort me and my collegaues put in

I was then told the school has a policy of 25 hours at most only, and no possible pay increases to recompense the extra hours put in and that we should find a way of reducing the amount of hours we do, when in the job i do, it is actually impossible because i'd disappear on time if i could

Recession or no recession, i'm doing a job which they struggle to recruit for, i've done more work than i should do because we work as a team, my boss does more hours than me and he's on 35 hours too :s it's probable i might be moved to a crapper pay banding because of this 'single status' because i spoke to the borough's union rep about my current pay band and he told me what happened in the other schools, done to bring womens' pay up, but i know my job pays fairly because our new girl is on the pay band i got when i joined, i only earn more because i've been there 3 years and know more, like the female technician who left in summer was on more than me because she'd been there 7 years so i shouldn't get punished :s

Found out this don't even affect the academy schools, so it's not that 'single'

I have my mothers mortgage & bills to pay as she's out of a job, all i want is fair pay, so if they want to change my pay bandings to lower pay, they can pay for the extra 8% of work i do for free surely?

my current plan is to write a letter to the head of resources in the school stating my position that to do my job me and my colleagues need to work 38 hours, not 35 and i want the people who are calculating my single status change to take this into account, not assume i do a 35 hours week - and see what response i get, would you think this is the best course of action at the moment?