Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Broadband Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So what do you think?

I see the government want to add VAT on top of their new Tax so they plan to tax a new tax .. this government is tax happy.

They already get VAT Tax on the money I already pay for Broadband, now they say they want money so people that live out in the Country can get Broadband Internet ....

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article6932537.ece

I'm waiting for them to Tax Oxygen next with meters to measure how many breaths we take each day.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't have more than one phone line, but what the hell. You already pay over the odds for a second phone line from the phone companies! Is this why the government wants every household in the UK to have an phone line/net connection so they can stab them in the back with taxes?
    i agree with subsidies, but surely they have enough money already!

Hmmm taxing tax, whatever next, A VAT tax charging you a fee to pay VAT?

If you truly believed the former, why would you care about the latter ?
    If you truly believed the former, why would you care about the latter ?

cos taking money out of one part of the a sector, in this case telecoms, and moving it into a another part of the same sector is just counter productive and won't benefit the customers of the telecoms companies. the government already collects vast amounts of tax from fuel tax, income tax and business rates, i find it hard to believe they cannot use some of that.
    cos taking money out of one part of the a sector, in this case telecoms, and moving it into a another part of the same sector is just counter productive and won't benefit the customers of the telecoms companies. the government already collects vast amounts of tax from fuel tax, income tax and business rates, i find it hard to believe they cannot use some of that.

Those actions will not benefit the customers of fuel providers. Or anyone who has income, or a business, for that matter.
    What about people like me who have cable and mobile but not landline?
    get charged.

they want to charge cable users as well I believe
    Can say the same with wanting to limit internet visability.

It's a good idea in concept to give people in the countryside a chance to have a broadband connection but current owners of broadband shouldn't fork the bill through tax. If it was such a good idea, and highly demanded in certain parts, they can request their ISP to relay lines. If I remember correctly, not to long ago folk in the countryside managed to get a ISP (Virgin?) to lay lines for them. I can't remember how they got it but Virgin gave in and did the job.

One thing is I highly doubt after every home in the UK gets the equal access to the internet this tax would vanish after succeeding it's purpose.
    I will happily agree to this on one condition. Namely that the useless cunt who came up with the idea is strangled using telephone wires and then beaten senseless with old telephones.

I hear Gordon Brown is good at throwing mobile phones at things...
    if you pay £10 to £15 a month for Broadband each month then we're already paying around £2 each in VAT Tax - plus a lot of people are forking out for a telephone line rental of £11 per month they might not even want or need for making phone calls.

so in all we're paying a good £2 to £3 in VAT to have internet access already.

This government has been in power far too long, they only know how to create new taxes, upon other taxes - if they really wanted to get broadband in the country side they'd have done it by now.

I'm sure if broadband was really that important to people that live out in the countryside they'd live in the cities or simply pay for mobile broadband.

You can make a WiFi signal go miles if you really wanted to (over 200 miles)

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/19/venezuelans-set-new-wifi-distance-record-237-miles/

So where's the big expense? This government loves to find new ways to tax people and make us think it's doing us a favour into the bargain.