Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

weddings & Money !!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Could anyone give me a rough price they would expect for a wedding ...

A normal everyday one in a church , nice reception with nice food and decoration in a resturant or hotel , cars , flowers etc ......

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My sister spent about £10,000-£15,000 on her wedding and that wasn't overly posh and fancy. It was in a nice little place in Wales with a nice honeymoon, but from what I've heard thats sounds about the average.
    Mine was about £1500 in total I think, but we didn't have it in a hotel or rent a car, and we did all of the work ourselves.
    Ours was £13,000 including honeymoon, although we had help and we had been saving up for a long time.
    I've just done some photography work for some people who were on a budget who i think spent about £3000, and they'd got a lot for their money.
    Ours was £2,800 in total however we asked guests to pay for their meals so about another £1,600

We had a 4Star Hotel, Ceremony, dress, suit (I bought not hired) photographer, decorations gifts champaine and wine - 40ish bottles in total and corkage (we provided our own wine/champaine) and some accomodation 7/8rooms for few nights.

tbh you can get a REALLY nice wedding with change left over for £5,000 and there is no need to pay a lot more.

(this was also back in september
    We have set ourselves a limit of £5000 for everything including honeymoon!

We haven't booked anything yet but quotes we are getting back from places are around £4000 for the ceremony, wedding breakfast, evening buffet, drinks and entertainment for around 100 people.
    i've never got married so don't know. i'm sure i heard the average was £20k though?

my boyfriend's sister is getting married in may and without the honeymoon, its costing them about £15,000 (i say them, more like my boyfriend's mum and her fiance's parents!!!).

the couple are paying for the honeymoon themselves, haha. that will probably cost more than the wedding though with the amount of places they are going!

weddings are expensive! i don't think i'll ever be able to afford it :(

saying that, my friend is getting married in november and i'm sure she said she's only spending £5-£6k.
    *hellie* wrote: »
    We have set ourselves a limit of £5000 for everything including honeymoon!

We haven't booked anything yet but quotes we are getting back from places are around £4000 for the ceremony, wedding breakfast, evening buffet, drinks and entertainment for around 100 people.

Thats not bad as the food where I got mine should've been about £45.00 per head so thats £4500 for 100 people,

Mine was only for 60 people and I obviously got a discount

numbers is the big thing and in my opinion the food is the biggest cost in all weddings I've seen the bills for (where I work and my own)

Here is a link
    http://auchrannie.co.uk/wmslib/pdf/WeddingBrochure.pdf

just for idea's this is a little under the standard price for the level of service/type of hotel.
    Ours cost around £5,000 for everything (including a free bar all night!). Our parents paid for it all between them (which was AMAZING of them), except we paid for the honeymoon, my grandma bought my dress, and the flowers were a wedding present. Because we were being funded, we tried to be a bit thrifty, but I can honestly say we didn't want for anything. People sometimes think you need to spend a lot to have a good day, but it all goes by SO fast, and the last thing you're thinking is 'God, I wish we'd spent a bit more on this'.

There are ways to keep the costs down without losing out. Easiest way is by NOT telling people the things you're getting are for a wedding. Suppliers hear 'bride' and the price immediately doubles. Cake, for example - the shop we got it from did wedding cakes starting from £150. We told them we wanted a cake for a 21st birthday and got exactly the same thing for £65 :thumb: I also got a photographer who was very talented, but not very experienced, and he charged £400 (instead of the £1000 quotes I got elsewhere) and did a brilliant job).

We also did bits ourselves - I did all the stationery on a bogstandard inkjet printer, and fancied it up with ribbons and eyelets. We got favour boxes in bulk off ebay and filled them with Costco jellybeans. I made my own jewellery and did my own makeup.

It's easy to get carried away with makeup artists and chocolate fountains and the like, but remember it's just one day. Your marriage will be just the same whether you spend £400 or £40,000, but do you really want to kick off your newlywed life under the shadow of £40,000's worth of debt?
    What Olive said, I got offered a loan from my bank for a rediculous amount for our wedding but it isnt worth it in my opinion.
    I think the way we saved the most is because my mum is fantastic. She made the cake (and JsT will verify that it was indeed delicious), and made the decorations for the hall. She and some friends decorated the hall and set it up, and the same friends put all the food out and served drinks. We got all the alcohol for £15 (yes, fifteen) because we doubled our clubcard points at Tesco and got shitloads of it for free. We still have 12 bottles of wine, 1 bottle of Pimms and 2 bottles of champagne left now!

We had a registry office wedding, which was £370, and the hall hire was £200. My dress was £50 from Debenhams sale, I was lent a veil and tiara by one of my new aunties. Everyone wore suits they already had ... glass hire was cheap. My mum did almost all the food and my mother in law did the rest. My father in law took our official photos, but everyone took photos really and we got some lovely ones that I'm really pleased with.

I wouldn't have changed a single thing about the day, it was fantastic and so much fun :D You don't have to spend a fortune to have a great wedding.

Oh and flowers were a gift, I designed the invites myself and another new auntie printed them at her printing company as a gift to us. We didn't bother with favours, what's the point, and a friend's band played at the reception. :thumb:
    My wedding cost about £25K but it was at a posh london venue - we did keep some costs down by buying the wine in bulk in France and printing the invitations etc ourselves but I also spent stupid amounts on things like flowers (6k - my mother in law who was paying said there was no budget......)

My sister in laws weddings both cost around £40k if not more but my brother in laws wedding was about £5k and just as nice.

I don't think that you should spend ridiculous amounts on your wedding unless you actually have the money to spend - i was lucky that both of our families are well off - i think that the thing which makes the day nice is having your friends and family there and you can have just as much fun in a church hall as long as there is dancing and alcohol - i'm still trying to persuade someone to have a bbq on a beach.