Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Are butchers still worth using?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now that big supermarkets are everywhere, are local butcher shops still needed? Who still gets their meat from a butcher and what's the attraction or why don't you go?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The attraction is as follows:

i) The quality is a lot better, better cuts of meat and meat that has been hung correctly
    ii) Animals have generally led better quality lives, which means better meat
    iii) You can get exctly what you want in terms of quantity and cut
    iv) Supports proper and sustainable farming practices and not battery crap

Naturally there's variation, but few butcher shops will source crap meat. Being small independent retailers, they can't compete with supermarkets on cost and so must do so on choice and quality.

i) The quality is a lot better, better cuts of meat and meat that has been hung correctly

Naturally there's variation, but few butcher shops will source crap meat. Being small independent retailers, they can't compete with supermarkets on cost and so must do so on choice and quality.

You're a happy customer there!
    I go to butchers occassionally- my local butcher having large boxes of eggs as a loss leader. The personal attention and advice is good. Then many supermarkets have meat counters with staff too. Most of my meat is from supermarkets only 'cos I get other things there, but I make it a point to keep up visits to the small butcher too :thumb:
    A lot of butchers sell poor low cost meat as they use the same sorts of suppliers supermarkets do. I've always seen battery eggs sold in most of them too. If you shop about you can get some good meat though but will pay for it.
    minimi38 wrote: »
    A lot of butchers sell poor low cost meat as they use the same sorts of suppliers supermarkets do. I've always seen battery eggs sold in most of them too. If you shop about you can get some good meat though but will pay for it.

Yes, a lot about butchers is finding the good ones. Shops where working practices mean good standards of hygiene. Maybe play by the ear from family friends' experiences of buying meat

Agree with the above.

minimi38, we don't have butchers like that in our parts. Maybe it's because it's a network of small villages but they can't get away with practices like that. Everyone would know, it's like a chain of gossip from the farmers, the landowners etc. :D
    I can get quite good quality meat at supermarkets, but if it's something special there is one butcher i go to who i don't even need to give instructions to. The ready made cuts are perfect :heart: and the meat quality is soooo good!
    it depends on the butcher. There are good ones and there are crap ones.
    A good one, the meat will be loads better than some shrinkwrapped stuff at a supermarket
    My family own a butchers shop, have done for over 50 years now. Although I don't buy any meat there (I'm mainly veggie) the meat they sell is dearer than supermarkets but it is better quality and can be cut to your liking. That said, I do understand why alot of people don't bother going to a butchers when they can get their meat at a supermarket; cheaper and more convenient, however it is sad to see the family business struggling after years of being a booming business mainly due to supermarkets. It's nice to have small, traditional, family run businesses!
    We try to get our meat from one of the local farm shops, when we can afford to. It's locally reared, fresh as you like and tastes ten times better than supermarket meat.

If I had the money, I'd do all my shopping there :yum:
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    It's nice to have small, traditional, family run businesses!
    Defo nice to see butchers about
    A good one, the meat will be loads better than some shrinkwrapped stuff at a supermarket
    Flies an issue in hot weather
    Id use local butchers a lot more if I had the oppertunity, theres a couple I know of in the area, but its just getting chance to use them. Plus I dont really have cooking facilities where I am.
    :yes: a good butchers is well worth the price. If only they were open at 9pm
    Big Gay wrote: »
    :yes: a good butchers is well worth the price. If only they were open at 9pm
    There's still Saturday