Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

claiming an old unused car?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive heard that if a cars been abandoned you can legally claim it from the dvla, is this true, if it is i was going to try and claim a car thats been in my workplaces car park for over two years untouched.

If anyone knows anything about this sort of thing id be grateful for your help :)

Comments

• Options
    Yes. But you need to report it to the Police and the DVLA, who will then attempt to contact the registered keeper. If they fail to respond(within 30 days, IIRC?), then you can apply for the V5.
  • Options
    I wouldn't advocate smashing the window, climbing in and yelling "SHOTGUN!"
  • Options
    You need to contact the police and the DVLA who will attempt to contact the registered keeper. After a period of time you can recontact the DVLA who will issue a new V5 in your name. However, you don't legally become the owner of the car, just the registered keeper. If the original owner sees it he can claim it back.

You also have to think, do you really want a car that's been sitting unmoved for 2 years? There aren't any keys, service history, MOT e.t.c.
    If it's bothering your company that much the best course of action is to put a 14 day notice on it, if it hasn't been removed get it towed away and bill the owner for the expense.