Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

supermarket have charged me twice?

errr yeah :|

i've just checked my bank balance and it looks like i was charged twice for my shopping!

there was a problem with the bank card machine but i was told that it had definately not gone through the first time round.

but it must have done.

the supermarket happens to be asda. how would i go about getting a refund? would i just go to the customer service bit in the store?

i really need the money back :( will they give it me back?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I reckon if you go in with a copy of your bank statement where it says youve been charged twice and your receipt from that day, they cant really deny that theres been a mistake.

Friend of mine from Tesco's said theyd rather hand out refunds straight away than had to deal with angry customers so it might be the same with asda, being a big supermarket
  • Options
    As with Lexi - go to the customer service desk of your Asda branch with the statement and that receipt. Asda have cocked up a couple of times on me and when I proved the mistake, I was given money-off tokens on both occasions. Very good customer service.
  • Options
    what date did you get the shopping blah? sometimes that does happen when the card machine is dodgy. however asda has a system where if any transactions of the same amount go through within 3 minutes of each other, at midnight every night the transaction is cancelled and the money is put back into your account. BUT this can take ten days to go back in, because its in a sort of 'holding' bay by your bank/asda.

you need to print a copy of your bank statement and take your receipt from the shopping into store, take it to the customer service desk and explain whats happened. i dealt with the same thing tonight though and we had to ask the lady to come back in 10 days to make sure the money hasnt been refunded. but they will take the transaction details and look it up on their computer to check it. you'll definitely get your money back cos they'll be able to tell its the same amount gone through twice. but it might not be straight away. x
  • Options
    That happened once to me before (not at asda :p) I just gave the cc company a call and charge was taken care of. 2 minutes, done ;)
  • Options
    errr yeah :|

i've just checked my bank balance and it looks like i was charged twice for my shopping!

there was a problem with the bank card machine but i was told that it had definately not gone through the first time round.

but it must have done.

the supermarket happens to be asda. how would i go about getting a refund? would i just go to the customer service bit in the store?

i really need the money back :( will they give it me back?

Did they give you a receipt for the cancelled transaction? They normally do...

Sometimes the money is "pegged" from your account, but not actually removed until they follow the transaction through. Chances are it's just that, and your balance will return to normal soon... :)
  • Options
    Sometimes the money is "pegged" from your account, but not actually removed until they follow the transaction through. Chances are it's just that, and your balance will return to normal soon... :)

I like your word "pegged" there. Sounds better than "earmarked".
  • Options
    It's up to your bank to do the refund. After the supermarket has accepted the mistake the bank adjusts your account balance.
  • Options
    You guys keep your shopping receipts and check them against your bank statements?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    You guys keep your shopping receipts and check them against your bank statements?

God I throw the reciept as soon as I get it and I've got 3 years worth of bank statements I have never opened...it's too depressing :blush:

I've never had this I don't think but im sure if you go in and explain they will give you the money back :)
  • Options
    I don't open my bank statements either. I had to to get myself out of debt but I know what's where now in my head and just assume it's right. It's probably a stupid thing to do though in case I become the victim of identity fraud. Not that they'd get far...
  • Options
    katralla - i wouldn't say i keep receipts and check my bank balance against them. however, i do keep a figure of how much i've spent in my head and then check that against my bank balance. i have a ridiculous fear of going anywhere near my overdraft (after getting myself into alot of debt early this year - i was VERY lucky to get out of it). i am also saving up for a new kitchen and 3 bathrooms so i'm keeping an eye on what i spend. lol. borrrinnggg.

click - no, they didn't give me one of those. the guy on the till just told me it didn't go through.

ff - i shopped there yesterday in the afternoon. its lucky i've still got the receipt really. i never normally keep them. i don't know for sure its gone out of my bank account yet but its DEFINATELY come out of my available balance.

if it has come out twice, should i just wait 10 days or should i pop in and have a word so they are aware that its happened?