Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

G20 Policing Condemned

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/nov/25/police-could-lose-public-consent

Glad to see there's still some accountability, sometimes.

I also hope some of the people who comdemned, a priori, those involved and blindly backed the Police until faced with a torrent of evidence, will take note. Many at the time were more than happy to dismiss the accounts of reasonable, peaceful people, simply because they don't agree with them on certain issues, and as such don't really mind people playing fast and loose with civil rights and violence where such people are concerned.

Members of various protest movements have known this has been the case for years, but this report goes a long way to redressing the balance.

Comments

• Options
    tbh i think it would have been a point in case if it had become the G21 by adding a protester to the discussions to see if they actually had anything useful to say or just wanted to go a day out and whinge.
  • Options
    tbh i think it would have been a point in case if it had become the G21 by adding a protester to the discussions to see if they actually had anything useful to say or just wanted to go a day out and whinge.
    I suspect your average protester would have far more interesting and productive things to suggest than the leaders of the G20.
  • Options
    I think that most people at that demonstration would have far more to say than you have contributed to this discussion.

I know a lot of people who have been to that demo (I couldn't afford the day of work sadly) who are very knowledgeable about politics, 'international development', the environment and global affairs. Some where university lecturers, long time activists, people who work for campaigns organisations, trade unions... And so on.

No doubt their views would not be popular amongst those who have the interests of appeasing multinationals rather than the feeding world's poorest people.