Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Terrified of having General Anaesthetic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've gotta have my impacted Wisdom Teeth out. Have to go to Hospital Day Surgery Unit & have General Anaesthetic :eek: :eek: i liove in England uk.

This is my first time time in Hospital & Operation
Petrified of General Anaesthetic, scared i'll die under Anaesthetic

Plz help i'm so scared - & it's fear of the unknown. also terrified of hospitals.
what will happen if i have a severe allergic reaction to the general anaesthetic ?! :crying:

I'm not brave enough to go through with it

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's not without it's risks just like any medical procedure but many go through it everyday and have no lasting effects.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Apparently it's statistically safer to have general anaesthetic than to drive (or get driven) to the hospital in a car.
    I've had general anaesthetic before. There's nothing to it, its just like going to sleep.
    Are you getting gas or injection?
    Mine was an injection into my arm. I'm not great with needles, but as soon as the anaesthetic kicked in I was out like a light, the next thing I know I'm being wheeled back to the ward, operation over.
    Obviously it is scary especially if you have never had it before! But you have to remember, yes, everything has a risk but if you are healthy and young then you should really have nothing to worry about. The anaethatist will explain what will happen and they will be there monitoring you and looking after you all through the procedure :)
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Obviously it is scary especially if you have never had it before! But you have to remember, yes, everything has a risk but if you are healthy and young then you should really have nothing to worry about. The anaethatist will explain what will happen and they will be there monitoring you and looking after you all through the procedure :)

I'm 19 - having the Operation 12th January (i know not for ages) !!!
    But i'm so terrified about it - keep getting into such a state and crying.

Never been in Hospital before, scared about having a IV Needle, scared of the Anaesthetic Room,scaed of all the machines.

Also Mum isn't allowed to stay with me. She has to drop me off & collect me after it's all done.:crying: The idea of being there alone & going into the anaesthetic room terrifies me :crying: :crying:
    i know theres no point telling you this but honestly, it is fine, theres absolutely nothing to be worried about. i had my first general anaesthetic two weeks ago and i was really scared too but it was totally okay. we had a thread like this recently and theres a lot of good advice in it so check out this link:

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=138410// and it ma y help you feel just a little better. xx
    i know theres no point telling you this but honestly, it is fine, theres absolutely nothing to be worried about. i had my first general anaesthetic two weeks ago and i was really scared too but it was totally okay. we had a thread like this recently and theres a lot of good advice in it so check out this link:

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=138410// and it ma y help you feel just a little better. xx
    Is the Anaesthetic Room scary ?

I saw a programme on TV about 4 years ago,called Anaesthetic Awareness.
    Still 4 years later it freaks me out - :crying: :crying:

i don't wanna do it without Mum ! :crying:
    I had my wisdom teeth out with a general anaesthetic too, and it was absolutely fine.

I was a bit worried in advance, but my anaesthetist was really nice, and he went through it all with me. He said they usually use a very light anaesthetic for operations like wisdom teeth, so it's not as risky as more complicated procedures, and the risk of complications is very small. Because it's so light, it barely even has side effects - all I had was that I got very shaky when I woke up, and I was a little sleepy for a few hours afterwards. Plus they gave me a local in my mouth while I was asleep, so I didn't even have any pain.

I think it's normal to worry about it, cause it's unknown, but try not to get too worked up, cause I promise you it isn't as bad as you're imagining :)
    Seriously there is nothing to worry about, i had an operation when i was little and its fine. It was like falling asleep. :) and i remembered nothing about getting the anaesthetic when i woke up.
    Just take deep breaths and try not to think "what if" about the day/get worked up;you don't know what it's actually going to be like till you get there! The staff should explain everything that's going to happen before they do anything. Just be glad you're going completely under for this op - some people have wisdom teeth out under local anaesthetic and that must be worse, as you can feel tugging and still see what's going on :eek:
    Luce wrote: »
    Just take deep breaths and try not to think "what if" about the day/get worked up;you don't know what it's actually going to be like till you get there! The staff should explain everything that's going to happen before they do anything. Just be glad you're going completely under for this op - some people have wisdom teeth out under local anaesthetic and that must be worse, as you can feel tugging and still see what's going on :eek:
    It's totally the fear of the unknown which is freaking me out. Having never been in hospital,i dunno what to expect :nervous:
    Hope the nurses & anaesthetist are nice !

I just wish i could know what general anaesthetic feels like,before my Operation. Really scared what it'll involve. Terrified of having a Breathing Tube down my throat :crazyeyes :crying: :nervous:

The idea of Mum leaving me at the Day Surgery Unit makes me feel like crying !

Thanks for all your lovely replies. I feel pathetic being this scared
    it doesn't really feel like anything, one minute you are waiting for it to kick in and the next you come round to see people looking at you, lol, well that was my experience. (i was on morphine as well so i was hallucinating a little bit- fun times).

you're not pathetic by the way, just apprehensive, just take some deep breaths and think of something you love before you go in the room, and then again as you are in the chair. it will be fine. :)
    Nutter wrote: »
    it doesn't really feel like anything, one minute you are waiting for it to kick in and the next you come round to see people looking at you, lol, well that was my experience. (i was on morphine as well so i was hallucinating a little bit- fun times).

you're not pathetic by the way, just apprehensive, just take some deep breaths and think of something you love before you go in the room, and then again as you are in the chair. it will be fine. :)
    I just can't stop thinking that'll i'll die under the anaesthetic (from a allergic reaction) !! i know it sounds silly to other people, but for me its a real & terrifying fear :crying: :blush:

Also i'm terrified of needles & having a canula put into my hand. When i had a Blood Test i fainted !
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I've had 11-12 operations over my 23 years on this earth and they've all been fine. It can be scary but stay calm and it'll all be fine.
    JsT wrote: »
    I've had 11-12 operations over my 23 years on this earth and they've all been fine. It can be scary but stay calm and it'll all be fine.
    Does the injection hurt ? freaking bad with needles. I fainted when i had a blood test !!

Hospitals scare me - when Dad was in Hospital last year i couldn't visit him.
    Issy wrote: »
    Is the Anaesthetic Room scary ?

i don't wanna do it without Mum ! :crying:

i will admit that yes, when i went into the anaesthetic room and got on the bed etc i did get a little freaked out. its not a scary room in itself but i got a bit scared cos there were so many people around me, there was like a nurse, an odp, a healthcare assistant, the anaesthetist and then another person. i was nervous and a little tear came out (!) but literally the next second you are gone, asleep, and you wont remember anything. it stings a bit having the canula put in your hand but nothing too bad.
    i will admit that yes, when i went into the anaesthetic room and got on the bed etc i did get a little freaked out. its not a scary room in itself but i got a bit scared cos there were so many people around me, there was like a nurse, an odp, a healthcare assistant, the anaesthetist and then another person. i was nervous and a little tear came out (!) but literally the next second you are gone, asleep, and you wont remember anything. it stings a bit having the canula put in your hand but nothing too bad.
    Did the Ward Nurse stay with u until u were asleep ?
    I hope my Nurse can stay with me in the Anaesthetic Room
    Did the Ward Nurse stay with u until u were asleep ?
    I hope my Nurse can stay with me in the Anaesthetic Room

yeah the ward nurse who had admitted me and looked after me before i went in, she was the one to take me down to theatre. take some slippers cos i had to walk down to theatre in my gown and my biker-style boots haha cos i didnt take any. she stays with you until you go to sleep.
    yeah the ward nurse who had admitted me and looked after me before i went in, she was the one to take me down to theatre. take some slippers cos i had to walk down to theatre in my gown and my biker-style boots haha cos i didnt take any. she stays with you until you go to sleep.
    I just really wish Mum could be with me. Can't see myself saying goodbye to Mum & watching her drive away. :crying: The thought of being alone in the Day Surgery Center makes me wanna cry :crying:

It says on my Letter that i'll be wheeled down to Theatre on a Trolley :confused: not sure why i can't walk ....

Were u allowed a family member/friend to stay with you ?

It says on my Letter that i'll be wheeled down to Theatre on a Trolley :confused: not sure why i can't walk ....

Were u allowed a family member/friend to stay with you ?

At the hospital I work at it is standard practice t go on a trolly or at least in a wheelchair! But generally relatives wait outside the theatre or in the cafe downstairs while their family member is in theater especially if they won't be in long :)
    At the hospital I work at it is standard practice t go on a trolly or at least in a wheelchair! But generally relatives wait outside the theatre or in the cafe downstairs while their family member is in theater especially if they won't be in long :)
    Unfortunately the Hospital i'm going to won't allow Mum to stay at all. She's not allowed past the Day Surgery Reception :crying:

I'm feeling terrified now - so i'll be even worse on the actual day ! - that's if i don't chicken out.
    Unfortunately the Hospital i'm going to won't allow Mum to stay at all. She's not allowed past the Day Surgery Reception :crying:

I'm feeling terrified now - so i'll be even worse on the actual day ! - that's if i don't chicken out.

No it's not practice for family members to go into theater unless it is a C section or if they are under 16 then the family member can only go up to the point of the anesthetic room but could your mum not wait in the cafe for you? I doubt you are going to be under that long, and then at least you have the peace of mind knowing she is in th building!
    im not trying to make this sound harsh, at all, but some things you just have to do without your mum :-/ you're 19 and getting to be a fully grown adult and you're just going to have to try and be brave. i know its hard. i admit i was apprehensive when i found out my mum couldnt stay but the nurses are so nice, they will really look after you. what i did was went in, got admitted to the ward etc then i went and sat with my mum for a bit in reception while i was waiting to go for my operation. not for long, just half an hour or so. then she went home and they rang her to pick me up when i was ready to go home. she could have waited in the cafe too but i told her to go home so she wouldnt just be waiting aroun. to be honest your mum cant do anything for you, its all up to the medical professionals, they're the ones going to be helping you. chin up it wont be bad at all :)
    im not trying to make this sound harsh, at all, but some things you just have to do without your mum :-/ you're 19 and getting to be a fully grown adult and you're just going to have to try and be brave. i know its hard. i admit i was apprehensive when i found out my mum couldnt stay but the nurses are so nice, they will really look after you. what i did was went in, got admitted to the ward etc then i went and sat with my mum for a bit in reception while i was waiting to go for my operation. not for long, just half an hour or so. then she went home and they rang her to pick me up when i was ready to go home. she could have waited in the cafe too but i told her to go home so she wouldnt just be waiting aroun. to be honest your mum cant do anything for you, its all up to the medical professionals, they're the ones going to be helping you. chin up it wont be bad at all :)
    I know i'm being silly & pathetic, but i'm just so scared ! :blush: I'm trying to be brave !
    Just can't get over this silly fear of not waking from the anaesthetic
    It's totally the fear of the unknown which is freaking me out. Having never been in hospital,i dunno what to expect :nervous:
    Hope the nurses & anaesthetist are nice !

I just wish i could know what general anaesthetic feels like,before my Operation. Really scared what it'll involve. Terrified of having a Breathing Tube down my throat :crazyeyes :crying: :nervous:

The idea of Mum leaving me at the Day Surgery Unit makes me feel like crying !

Thanks for all your lovely replies. I feel pathetic being this scared

As I remember, you get admitted and you'll have your own bed. You have to change into a nightgown and their paper underwear, and wait till the operating theatre call you in. A nurse should accompany you to theatre.

There's a room first where you lie down and they inject something to make you fall asleep, then they wheel you into theatre and do the op. (The breathing tube will be inserted once you're asleep I think)Then you'll wake up again in the first room when it's all over. Going under feels dreamy - sometimes they make you count to ten but you only get to about three!

You have to try to control your imagination, relax and take it in your stride.
    Luce wrote: »
    There's a room first where you lie down and they inject something to make you fall asleep, then they wheel you into theatre and do the op. (The breathing tube will be inserted once you're asleep I think)Then you'll wake up again in the first room when it's all over. Going under feels dreamy - sometimes they make you count to ten but you only get to about three!

Yeah the breathing tube (or ET tube) goes in straight after you have been given the anasthetic so you will have no memory of it and it is done really quickly! Everything will be explained at every step of the way and tere will be lot's of people there to reasure you, especially the theatre nurse who will be with you all the time :)
    Yeah the breathing tube (or ET tube) goes in straight after you have been given the anasthetic so you will have no memory of it and it is done really quickly! Everything will be explained at every step of the way and tere will be lot's of people there to reasure you, especially the theatre nurse who will be with you all the time :)
    Do u work in Theatre ?

Is it true it feels really quick ? Like you've only been asleep a few seconds ?
    Do u work in Theatre ?

Is it true it feels really quick ? Like you've only been asleep a few seconds ?

I work in critical care, but have been to theatre a few times and on our ward we constantly sedate patients and intubate (use breathing tubes in the mouth) them and have alot to do with anasthetics.

It does, because you are completely unawear of everything it feels like it has been no time. When we wake patients who have been sedated they have no sense of time and don't realise that they have been asleep for days and even weeks!
    I work in critical care, but have been to theatre a few times and on our ward we constantly sedate patients and intubate (use breathing tubes in the mouth) them and have alot to do with anasthetics.

It does, because you are completely unawear of everything it feels like it has been no time. When we wake patients who have been sedated they have no sense of time and don't realise that they have been asleep for days and even weeks!
    I'll only be under for 60mins max,which is a really short time. But it doesn't stop me worrying about never waking up !

Your amazing to work in Critical Care - hospitals scare me !