Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Birkbeck Vs Open University (evening learning)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I am looking at what to do next with my life... I currently have a job I enjoy, but it is not something I want to do forever. It is just keeping me going during this recession...

I am really fascinated with the field of international development, sustainability, human rights and social justice. I know this is a rock solid career to get in to, I'll be picking up a language course in January...

But I also wanna do a course in development, kinda like this, so maybe in a few years I can do an MSc/MA in a decent university.

I basically want to keep on learning and learning, as it is a passion of mine.

My friend said I should avoid Birkbeck, as they're really slack and a waste of cash, but I think that they would look good on my CV and I have heard different things from other people.

I have also considered Open University, as I study very well alone and know I could fit this around work too.

I am sure other places offer evening courses?

So does anybody have experience with Birkbeck or Open University?

What would you recommend?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have no personal experience of Birkbeck - although I nearly did my Masters there - but I know someone who has just completed a Humanities degree there and has been really enjoyng it.

It will depend on a lot of things - look at the course content, the research interests of the staff in your department etc., compare it with the OU units and see which tickle your fancy more. If you want a more 'normal' university course with 'normal' lectures, seminars and student interaction, go for Birkbeck. For the OU you will need to be very disciplined and tutorials are a lot less regular, so fewer opportunities to talk face-to-face about your work (although I think they have online forums etc). I think both are very well thought of academically, so it's all down to what works best for you. Good luck!