Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

scared of turning 18

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ive had depressive and suicidal thoughts in the past and sort of a year ago, i was going to do it. having not done it, ive somehow mannaged to keep my feelings and stuff at bay, but its coming up to my 18th and if i had done it last year, i wouldnt have been 17.

i never thought id live this long and that thouht realy realy terrifies me. ive never seen myself having a future, and althought i should know im not alone, i fear that thats all im going to get. i dont have any plans, im still not comfortable being here.

i dont know how to handle this. although it sounds odd, im not ready. and im going out for dinner and having some friends over so i cant just try and avoid it.

can i have some advice or something please...

Comments

• Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    I Feel Exactly The Same Way As You But It's A Bit Different.. I'm Only 13 But I Don't Want To Get Older.. I Don't See A Future For Me

We Can Talk On PM If You Like
    x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you been to see your doctor? They can really help. No body thought I'd make it to 12, but I'm here seven months after my 12th.

Yes- it is hard. I was in hospital before my birthday, and then recently too. But you just have to learn to take each day as it comes. When you wake up in the morning it's a new day, and nothing from previous days has to come with you.
    May I ask if anything has happened to make you feel like this? And for how long you've felt like this? Then I'll try and help you with more specific advice.
    Xx
    i havnt seen a doctor. or at least, received halp from one. i only remeber it two years ago, and it plagued me for a year and a half, and for the past six months ive been just keeping it to myself, not letting it show or get a hold of me. but i can feel it. its like its starting to come back. im beggining to have good and bad days that i wasnt having like a month ago. i just dont want what happened to to happen again, i dont want to feel like that.

it makes me sad to think that people know how i feel, or i might almost know how they feel. especialy people that much yonuger. im sorry.

im afraid and i dont know what to say...
    To be honest hun, no body feels the same. No body can know how you feel either. But I would go to a doctor, and be honest with them about how you feel.
    Xx
    Hi replar,

Turning 18 can be scary but your life doesn't have to change. Its godd that you're able to acknowledge the feelings you're having, like others have said talking to your doctor about this can be really useful.

Thesite has some really great information which can help you to understand what you're going through take a look at the depression section in health and wellbeing. Also there is the local advice finder which can help you to see what services are available in your area.

Please take the time to look you never know what you may find,

dp :heart:
    I was petrified turning 18, and I still hate birthdays, I feel really depressed that I'm a year older. Sounds stupid by never mind.

I'm now turning 21, and can honestly say I found turning 16-20 the worst birthdays.

Just try and look at the positives... you can legally drink, vote, get married without permission...! Each year brings new exciting experiences at this age I found!

Well done for making it this far though :thumb:
    greenday88 wrote: »
    I was petrified turning 18, and I still hate birthdays, I feel really depressed that I'm a year older. Sounds stupid by never mind.

I'm now turning 21, and can honestly say I found turning 16-20 the worst birthdays.

Just try and look at the positives... you can legally drink, vote, get married without permission...! Each year brings new exciting experiences at this age I found!

Well done for making it this far though :thumb:

You might feel like you're getting old at 18, but you're still a teenager. Its the big 20 that's the worst (or at least it was for me). Now I'm bloody 28, and I still feel like a 12-year-old inside.
    I couldn't wait to turn 18. It was the excitement of going out with friends to the pub or whatever. Then before I did turn 18, I was dreading it. Turning 18, was a big deal. Knowing that even though you are still a teenager, you are supposed to be grown up, an adult with lots of responsibilities. I got a card off my parents saying how im now an adult. I wanted to cry. I didn't like the thought of being an adult.

Now Im 22 and don't look forward to getting any older.