Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

i quit my job.. will i still get paid?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i took as much as i could take from the job.. and it got to the point where i couldnt take anymore.. so i walked out... i just quit
without giving notice..... as its xmas soon :( will i still get paid upto the day i left??

:nervous: :confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think yes, but I also think you should call your work and let them know you're not coming back. If you have worked for them and are paid in arrears then legally for any contracted hours you have completed they are obliged to pay you - it doesn't matter if you don't give your proper notice. The main downside of not giving notice I believe is they may disclose this on a reference which would make you look bad (but if you weren't working there for long you could just omit them from your work history perhaps?).
    well i did write a letter before i walked out as the managers had gone home... only superviser left in the store, and they didnt call me saying i needed to be in work today
    Even though they legally have to pay you up to your final day, don't you also have a legal requirement to give them a week's notice IIRC? (or a month's notice if you've been there for a year+)
    Yea as monserrat says I think (from reading the internet) you also have a legal obligation to give notice, but managers can waive this obligation (if they wanted to be dicks they could sue you for breach of contract? but i cant think of any employer that would actually bother). The other way of course is to give notice but have the doctor sign you off sick due to stress for the notice period.

The exception is temporary work as you or the employer normally may end the work assignment at any time without notice.
    If an employer wanted to be draconian they could take you to court and sue for money from you! the amount equivalent to the notice period you failed to give. That's one month's or 1 week's pay they could ask from you.

Most employers are open to negotiation and as long as you haven't completely fallen out with management, they will take your circumstances into account especially if the job is making you ill. Speak to personnel and get an agreement
    For future references' sake, I'd say it's best to end on good terms. Even when the blood has already boiled.