Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is online banking good?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Quite some people operate their bank accounts online now- still, others don't trust such a facility. I find having 24 hour screen access to my account very convenient. The easy access allows keeping track of my personal finances and helps my good money management :)

How do you rate having your current account available on the internet? and see the risk of fraud..........

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I find it really helpful
    MrG wrote: »
    I find it really helpful

Yeah, just as banks make use of technology at their branches we should register our home computers for banking!
    very helpful.
    A friend of mine got an e-mail asking for a password and typed it in without thinking much. Next, his account was raided by criminals. Don't people agree the ease of an unseen fraudster can deter some from registering for internet banking?
    I have 2 accounts with 2 different banks and have online banking for both, mainly so I can keep track of whats going on without having to go to the cash machine to check my balance or wait for a bank statement. Good also that you dont have to go to the bank to set up say a direct debit or wait for hours talking to a robot on the phone.

I think fraudsters are pretty easy to spot, unless they're a criminal mastermind hacker. No bank will ever ask for your log in details in an email and often if you look at the email address, its different to the actual one. My dad showed me this with Paypal. Say their address is "x@paypal.com", fraudsters will try to make it as similar as possible with "x.paypal@something.com".
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    A friend of mine got an e-mail asking for a password and typed it in without thinking much. Next, his account was raided by criminals. Don't people agree the ease of an unseen fraudster can deter some from registering for internet banking?

I disagree.

After all most if not all online banks tell you that they will never ask for your password by email.

Im not saying people are stupid or silly, or even naieve. Though it is good to point out that if people follow good practice, things like that wont happen.
    I had a telephone banking account called Phonesave. It then became available online although can you still operate it by phone. As long as are have an awareness of online fraud, then online is definitely better because you're not paying for a phonecall.

(P.S. I did get frauded in 2007 but that was by having my card cloned, nothing to do with online).
    Internet banking is brilliant. I like being able to check my account regularly to see what has gone out without having to go to the cashpoint all the time. It's easy for cancelling direct debits or setting up standing orders, checking your wages have gone in etc etc. Can't understand why anyone wouldn't register, as others have said no bank will email you asking for your password and people should know better than to give out their password via email.
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    ........................ mainly so I can keep track of whats going on without having to go to the cash machine to check my balance or wait for a bank statement. Good also that you dont have to go to the bank to set up say a direct debit or wait for hours talking to a robot on the phone.
    Agree with you 100%
    MrG wrote: »
    I disagree.

After all most if not all online banks tell you that they will never ask for your password by email.

Im not saying people are stupid or silly, or even naieve. Though it is good to point out that if people follow good practice, things like that wont happen.
    The friend of mine is intelligent and knows banking stuff. The theory is ignore such e-mails, but in practice people are careless and their mind responds to what's on the screen at face value. Fraudsters know however careful people are, after sending out thousands of requests, a few people do send their password. That's human error in cyberjudgement. It's like judging someone from what they write on an internet forum alone. People do it even though they know you can't really know someone till you're familiar in real life. The mind 'jumps'
    Monserrat wrote: »
    .....................then online is definitely better because you're not paying for a phonecall.
    you're not in a queueing system either
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    It's easy for cancelling direct debits or setting up standing orders
    You're in control too, instead of relying on someone on the other end of the phone