Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Don't know what to make of what I have become

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone,

(I put this thread here because it has a variety of different issues)

I am an 18 year old guy. In about the past year, I have progressively changed psychologically and mentally. My whole outlook, aspirations - everything has shifted and it's shown in my behaviour and what I do day to day.

I get the idea I've become sort of a "failure", as far as society would perceive - and I certainly have not lived up to my potential at least in education. At GCSE level I did reasonable, 2A's 6B's and 2C's. However, at A-Level I only achieved a C an E and a U. Not good, considering I was on track for an A, B and C at AS-Level. I never wanted to go to University, because my career goals are more experienced based than academia (Police, Fire or Naval service) – But I wanted at least good A-Levels.

The reason I feel this has happened is due to the changes in attitude and my view of life that I’ve had the past year. I don’t even know if it’s good or bad because it’s made me less conscientious but more “free”. I don’t care for having some high-roll high-stress job, because I know that’s not going to make me happy at all – but I can’t help but feel I’ve “failed”. I just want to be comfortable, I don't wan't a family of my own, or a relationship. I want to travel, experience new things more than I care for achiving the general expectations people have.

Currently, I am unemployed seeking work. I have an Interview in a week for Hospital Portering and I have a successful application pending interview date for the Navy as an Officer (Training will begin next September).

Thing is though, I’m a mess – the past 3 months I’ve been in a real rut – depressed, unsure, off the rails. I’ve drank a fair bit of alcohol and I’ve put a fair bit of weight on (Used to be really fit and healthy). I’m an insomniac too and I’ve lost all my friends (I'm actually a bit of a loner anyway, but far from lacking in social skills etc).

I need to get myself together, find myself again but I don’t know how.

Advice appreciated

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hiya, I know exactly how you feel I have a similar sort of problem which I posted about. You feel trapped dont you and you get stressed out because you can't work out why you feel like you do. I would suggest you go to the doctors and tell them everything and say its affecting your life. I haven't had many good experiences with doctors to be honest but its worth a go for you. Just try and tell yourself that your not a failure! Maybe get a diary and write down how you feel and see if there is a pattern. Maybe get back to doing some exercise or join a fitness club for kick boxing or something so you can get back into the social scene. I do know how you feel and its crap but you'll get past it im sure :) let me know how you get on with doctors and that. :)
    I felt like this after my GCSE's and it got worse, i would go talk to your doctor and see what he/she can do to help. it took me aaaages to go to mine, and i had to be persistent, :/ but hopefully it won't take so long for you. good luck

also you might want to think, is there anything else in your life that has been happening that is making you feel this way..?
    Hey LiverpoolStephen welcome to thesite :wave:

Sorry to hear things haven't been going so well for you. It can be tough when you feel in a rut to motivate yourself and get out of it again. You seem to be an articulate, intelligent individual who knows what they want out of life but sometimes getting there can be frustrating.

You say you're disappointed with your A Level results, do you think resitting would be an option for you? It looks like you have some really positive things coming up, the Navy would certainly give you the lifestyle you say you're looking for.

Like others have said if you feel able to, doing some exercise again would be a really good place to start for your physical and emotional well being, as well as helping with your long term goal of joining the Navy.

Is there anything else that has happened which may be making you feel this way?

Keep posting and let us know how you're getting on,

dp
    You do sound like you're putting too much pressure on yourself. Is there any chance you could resit? If you were on track for good marks then it could be something got in the way of that and affected your work. You seem like a clever bloke.
    Can't resit, too late now. Part of me wouldn't want to anyway, what's done is done. If anything I'd study A-Levels from home and enter myself.

Do you think My A-Level results will look bad on me? I just feel it's going to hold me back.
    I have quite similar GCSE and A level results, I wouldnt worry about them. Im doing well, and good luck with that officer application, you will enjoy it.
    Do you think My A-Level results will look bad on me? I just feel it's going to hold me back.

Hi LiverpoolStephen,

Good to see you back :)

I don't think your A-Level results will look bad on you, maybe if your aim was to continue to further education immediately it could be difficult, if anything you've shown the commitment to a two year study program.

You've said that your career goals are more experienced based, if anything it may be useful to do some voluntary work thats relevant to your chosen path.

Any potential employer will be more interested in how you perform at an interview, which if your social skills here are anything to go by, you should do great.

dp
    Really, when you actually get into a job, your exam results count for bugger all. So long as you put in the effort at work, you're laughing. The navy will teach you all the practical skills you need to do the job.

Just out of curiosity, are you going for warfare branch or engineering? Or Fleet Air Arm?