Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Labour candidate calls Queen a "parasite"

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    Wanting to abolish the monarchy doesn't mean wanting to instate a president.

So you'd have Gordon Brown as the head of state as well as the head of the Anglican Church?

God help us all.

My question was merely that most of the republics in the world, certainly those in Europe where formerly there were monarchies, now have a prime minister - president set up.
    i think the french had the right idea
    So you'd have Gordon Brown as the head of state as well as the head of the Anglican Church?
    That's another massive issue IMO. There should be separation of Church and State. The head of the State should not be the head of the Church. Then again, in the hypothetical scenario of Britain ditching the monarchy, they could also make amends on this department as well.

[My question was merely that most of the republics in the world, certainly those in Europe where formerly there were monarchies, now have a prime minister - president set up.
    I'm undecided as to which system I'd prefer- the American one with the One-figure-does-it-all approach, or the French 'President + Prime Minister' system.

I'd probably go for the American one. I really don't see much point in having President and Prime Minister.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    That's another massive issue IMO. There should be separation of Church and State. The head of the State should not be the head of the Church. Then again, in the hypothetical scenario of Britain ditching the monarchy, they could also make amends on this department as well.

Well since the Pope invited all Anglicans back to the Catholic fold, perhaps this isn't such a distant possibility. Church and State should be mutually exclusive. But I imagine that ditching the monarchy would not, at least in a practical sense, mean a dissolution of the Church of England. Would certainly be interesting to see what would happen as I genuinely have no idea.

I can't imagine everyone rushing to become a Catholic all of a sudden simply because it's the closest thing with a recognisable figurehead.

I'm undecided as to which system I'd prefer- the American one with the One-figure-does-it-all approach, or the French 'President + Prime Minister' system.

I'd probably go for the American one. I really don't see much point in having President and Prime Minister.

I was loathe to propose the American system as they've never had a monarchy so not really comparable. I was thinking a little closer to home, such as France and the Eastern European countries.

Incidentally, does anyone know if similar debates are / have gone on in places such as Belgium, Denmark, Holland and Spain regarding the abolition of the monarchy?
    I find it astonishing the the levels you're reaching in trying to defend actions that are indefensible.

It's all very well for you to like the monarchy and think it's the best system around. But don't try to pretend the royals are jolly nice people or have not done deplorable things as well.

What levels are those exactly? Was I impolite? Rude? What?

I'm NOT saying the monarchy is the 'best system'. It would not suit most countries. But I think it does suit ours. Perhaps you can't have the same sympathy of British history because you have no heritage here, but I am proud of the Royal family. The Royals are human beings. It seems to me that your expectation on them is so high that they should be dumped because they're not perfect.

In my opinion, having a President who has had a career in politics, ought to discluded him/her from standing. Until such a stage that we have can have a President that is drawn from their careers and contributions to society, the arts, medicine, science, education etc, and is above politics, there is no acceptable alternative to the Queen. If the President's role is purely functional, why should a politician be allowed to stand? Perhaps a non-politician head of state will bring some sobriety to the international tensions that politicians seem all too capable of stirring up.
    Teagan wrote: »
    Perhaps you can't have the same sympathy of British history because you have no heritage here

Im british and i am anti royal.
    I dont think Aladdins nationality has anything to do with it
    Im british and i am anti royal.
    I dont think Aladdins nationality has anything to do with it

Perhaps your perspective on history and the royal family is different to mine. That's fair enough. What I am saying is that Aladdin possibly can't understand my perspective because he hasn't grown with a British experience and history. You might. I understand your perspective. I just don't agree with it.
    And of course you'd never see an elected Head of State do this

article-1229272-0747813B000005DC-329_634x588.jpg

:p
    Not, they are much more dignified... :p

george-bush-holding-baby.jpg
    MoK wrote: »
    Not, they are much more dignified... :p

george-bush-holding-baby.jpg

Fair enough :D

Me neither, but then I think France > America, and change my mind.
    In the news this evening...
    ++ Fury as Labour candidate calls Her Majesty a "parasite".
    ++ Praise as Stargalaxy responds by calling Peter White a "populist cunt".
    ++ EXCLUSIVE: Bears discovered shitting in the woods.
    ++ Scientists discover that night follows day...

UPDATE: It would appear the lard bucket in question is guilty of crimes against fashion as well.

14447_181756141595_506596595_3509620_6546263_n.jpg
    stargalaxy wrote: »

UPDATE: It would appear the lard bucket in question is guilty of crimes against fashion as well.

Why did you write this you strange strange person?