Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Post Natal Depression?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

A friend of mine has recently been going through a really bad time and is starting to worry us.
9 months ago she had her son and was diagnosed with post natal depression, as far as we knew it was all on track and she was feeling a lot better.
A few weeks ago she spilt with her fiance(Baby's father), but until yesterday they still lived together. During those weeks there's been a lot of arguing and because she's scared of him we've had to go round for moral support and in doing so have heard a lot of things we didn't know before.
She's been making suicide threats; lying to her family; lying to her ex-fiance and from the sound of things we've overheard whilst they've been arguing, she's been lying to us as well. She's also cut off all contact with her family and her ex has now moved 130 miles away.
She's said she's been getting help from the health visitor for her post natal depression, however, the times and appointment dates she's been giving us don't match up with the times the health visitor is available at her doctor's surgery as we have another friend who is registered there.
She's been taking her little boy to the doctors on a weekly basis, claiming different things wrong with him each time, yet the baby seems perfectly fine in himself when we babysit. The only thing we see is that he's growing very slowly.
We're not sure if she's crying for attention or she is getting the medical advice she needs for her post natal depression, what can we do to help her, without her feeling we're interferring.
We hate to ask this online but there's a group of her close friends who are fearing for her and the baby's safety, but none of us know how to approach this as we are the only people she's confiding in at the moment. We don't want her to feel pushed out.
Thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i would try and find out who her health visitor is and raise a concern
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We know who her health visitor is - shes under the same one as her other friend, whos registered at the same surgery, which is how we realised that the days she telling us shes going to the baby clinic aren't checking out.
    How do we go about contacting the health visitor about something like this do you know? We could obviously go through the other girl (call her friend X I suppose) but she doesn't get along brilliantly with the health visitor, and shes worried that the health visitor will just write friend X off as causing trouble, rather than listening to our concerns about our other friend. Is there a way for me, or one of the other girls to contact her, and will we be able to discuss this with her, even though we don't have children etc so cannot go into appointments with her, or the baby clinic?