Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Expected word count

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
If I'm given something that says there's an expected word count, does it really matter if I don't quite reach that word count? I'm meant to write a report with an expected word count of between 2000 and 3000 words; but have only done around 1700 and can't think of anything else I need to write.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    i'd assume if they've specificed an expected range, they'd expect you to at least make the lowest target.

I've only ever been given set numbers, and we've got 10% each way before they lower our grades/stop reading
  • Options
    Yea 10% each way is usually expected unless they adamantly say dont go over... for yours I'd say about 2250 - 2500 words.
  • Options
    If it's assessed then it will probably be seen by the marker as a short piece of work that doens't go into the necessary detail and explanation - whether or not it does because it will look conspiculously shorter than everyone elses.

Tips for getting the word count up. Go back to the question, spider gram everything you can think of that should go into the answer, including any bacground, then make sure you go through what yuo've writted and that you've got all of those as well as an introduction laying out the background followed by what you're going to say, say it, and then a summary or conclusion that says what you've just said.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    If I'm given something that says there's an expected word count, does it really matter if I don't quite reach that word count? I'm meant to write a report with an expected word count of between 2000 and 3000 words; but have only done around 1700 and can't think of anything else I need to write.
    Well if you have time go and get some rest, if you can sleep that would be great. Com to this next morning and you will have all the words which you have to write, it work for me.
  • Options
    If you're given a range, work on the basis that you need to get AT LEAST the lower margin. If you're given just a single limit then I'd do 10% over/under.

1700 is not enough either way though, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I do know 1700 is not enough; but don't want to write stuff for the sake of it.