Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

wanna get a bit more muscle..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey all, as the title surgests, i wanna bulk up a bit, i'm not fat or anything i'm just not that strong or that big in musclclar views, don't get me wrong i don't wanna end up like this:
dwingdwang_huge_body_builder_tiny_shirt_man_big_muscly_muscles.jpg
but i just wanna put on some muscle, i've been doing weights for a couple of weeks, nothing much, just my usual to keep me fit, i've slowly increased this and i havn't seen much growth of the time, my mate, (he's a gym instructor, trainie anyway) has recommend that i drink some protien shakes before and after i train, idk, has anyone else done this and does it work?

Also where can i get some?

I don't want to be told not to have them as its my choice on what i want to do, i just want some advice please
Thanks
Curly_boy

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lol i bet that man has a really sqeeky vioce! haha
    wouldn't surprise me tbh, lol
    Building muscle takes time. Noticing anything in a couple weeks or even a couple months is pretty unrealistic, unless you are making a highly concentrated effort which includes weights, cardio and diet (not just adding protein).

As for protien, since I'm assuming you won't take any advice that isn't reccomendations :p Look at body building websites for reccomendations. Most will taste like shit, avoid fake sugars, look for whey isolate as its the most effective and as for when you take it, many people get upset stomaches taking it right before or right after sessions so its a learning process. There is tons and tons and tons of information out there. A quick protein google search will get you any info. Don't be scared by body building websites. Even if it isn't your goal they can be very helpful to everybody.
    thanks my name, i know its unrealstic to want to notice any chance but i've changed my diet, more meat, fruit and veg, mostly more F and V cos i didn't really eat to much before and i've been doing more wieghts that i used to so yeah, i was just wondering about protien shakes, think i might get some tomorrow on the way back from college
    It can't hurt (unless you do a protein overload but you really have to try for that so why not :p Though, if you have one in mind, check them out online or see if your friend knows any good priced places. Granted it could be the complete opposite over yonder, but here you can go to the store and spend $45 on a tub and get the same thing online for $20 shipped. Crazy overpriced!
    myprotein.co.uk

bulk unflavoured isolate is the cheapest, also if you wanna bulk, and are prepared to put in the effort lifting in the gym, look into taking creatine.
    i heard monstersupplements site is good thoughi have never used them
    bulkwhey.co.uk is also good. You can also buy ground oats which are a good source of carbs - no point upping your protein if you don't have excess carbs!
    lol i bet that man has a really sqeeky vioce! haha

And a tiny pee-pee.
    my bad

Unflavoured Impact Whey
    Creatine
    L-Glutamine
    A good multi Vitamin.

oats are good. have about 20g protein before workout. and 30-40 after workout blended with some oats blended so they hit you faster and speed up recovery time.

dunno much about l-glutamine, and creatine, is apparently supposed to be taken afterward with plenty of water.

drinking lots of water constantly is a good idea anyway, just make sure your piss in near clear.
    checked for prices, myprotein.co.uk is the winner upto now
    I was sort of talking to my trainer about this on tuesday (and sunday), but i keep telling him i dont want to bulk up. He basically said to bulk up you need to be lifting really heavy weights for 2 sets of 6-8reps and feel that you cant do anymore. He also said, if you're doing 3sets of 12-15reps, the weights are too light and you will no way bulk up.

He also mentioned that most men have to take all sorts of proteins and supplements to get big and bulky even when they're lifting stupidly heavy weights. But, i don't know anything about them and the others have given you some decent info.

I'll see him in about an hour so i'll ask him what he recommends
    try 5 sets of 18 - 20 reps, varying from light weights high reps and heavy weight and low reps is good to shock the muscles. maintaining good technique and form is vital, good breathing , lift slowly and have a good action..
    thanks, I've been doing around 50 reps in sets of 10 every other day on the same set of weights and its wokring a bit, bulked up slightly, eating more carbs as well as more protien, getting some shakes soon so i'll let you know how it all goes
    Are you doing whole body or just the "t shirt" muscles? If you're only working the same groups every time, you might find better results either by doing a split routine, or increasing your rest time to two days. One day off for a muscle group isn't that long. You should be training to failure pretty much, and it will take at least a day or more to recover fully.
    i'm doing a set of pull up sort of weights one day then i'm working another set so its not just t-shirt muscles, its my whole body :)