Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Joint Tennancy - How to get out?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So a while ago, a friend (man A) and I decided to get together a flat. He wanted a veggie flat, as he is quite religious and another guy decided he wanted to move in (man B)....

Now I didn't really know the other guy. I quickly picked up that he doesn't have good social skills, but I accepted it as my other friend wanted to move in.

I don't want to go in to a very long story, so I'm going to be brief...

This man B has being increasingly controlling, including making a lot of comments about how he doesn't like my other flatmate wearing his traditional dress, or practicing his religion. Man B has made me leave the kitchen whilst I am cooking and took over, he talks over me and condescends me and at times he clenches his fists and gets aggressive in his behaviour. He has to control everything, for example approving what way I was my clothes or clean the kitchen, to correcting me constantly...

He also lies pathologically.

Man A had a party and one of his friends burnt a sofa. Man B who originally said that the sofa was from freecycle, now wants us to pay him £90 for a polyester blanket and £250 for the bed...

Now I just want to move out. I have told Man B how his behaviour makes me uncomfortable and he started shouting at me, saying how my cleaning is not good enough. I eventually said I don't wanna talk to him.

He cuts off the internet when he doesn't get his own way, he slams doors and he sometimes sends me texts, demanding money.

He's threatened me and Man A with court for the money and is refusing to pay rent...

But Man B is moving out in December to go abroad and we have a lovely person for his room... I have had enough.

I want to move out, but he is saying I am only allowed to have somebody who is a veggie who he approves of taking my room. Obviously, he'd have to resign the contract as well, so it kind of means I have to find this person...

And I am fed up... Some days I don't feel safe. The texts accusing me of bullying and the cutting off of internet and slamming doors is a horrible way to live...

But what creeps me more is a I found out recently, he'd said he raped somebody and he always gets what he wants :(

I dunno if this is true, but I feel less comfortable now... Any advice on getting out?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Who owns the flat?

I'd talk to your landlord if I were you and have a read of your contract.

If you can find someone to replace you it could help and unless person B owns the flat, i'm not sure he really has a say who moves in instead.

In my contract, we can give a months notice and move out, although I know that's not the case with a lot of rented flats.
    The agency owns it.

He would have to sign the new contract, if he refused... Then I would have to pay rent and I can't afford two places.

Tbh I just want out of London... If I have to wait until March, then so long as he leaves me alone, I can cope. But as my other flatmate is moving out and has a replacement, well as the replacement is female, I dunno if he is gonna try these games on her.

Either way, some nights I don't feel safe alone in this accomodation.
    i would speak to the agency tbh. Tell them what youve told us
    You said person B is moving out in december. Did you mean person A?
    That all sounds horrendous. Try speaking to your agency first and if they won't budge, try your CAB. If the other housemate is threatening (keep your texts for evidence etc), they may be able to help you get out of your contract for your own safety.
    Big Gay wrote: »
    You said person B is moving out in december. Did you mean person A?

Yeah, the nice guy is moving away...

He was really upset recently, as the not so nice flatmate sat outside his room and made a phone call, slagging us off and saying we are bullying him and forcing him to stay in his room (I actually sent him a text, saying I don't wanna argue, but let's only talk for the sake of bills and that he doesn't have to stay in his room!).

He bullied the other guy worse, I mean he would put me down and patronise me, but the other guy he was always making digs about his culture and apparently reckons that white people brought literacy and culture in to the world. :rolleyes: Ignorant much?

The thing is, my nice flatmate had treatment for cancer in September and the cancer has come back. He is not well and does not feel safe in the house. I don't know if I should tell the not so nice flatmate, so he stops stressing him out?

But then the not so nice guy seems not so 'sane' and may try to make him worse. I am worried... Last night, man A was crying because of having to have more treatment and being so unhappy. He doesn't want to sleep in his room alone because he feels so vulnerable as to what the not so nice guy would do, or is scared to be heard crying. :(

It is a horrible situation to be in. I am trying to be strong because I don't want man A to have any more worry... But inside, I feel quite cut up.
    Namaste wrote: »
    Yeah, the nice guy is moving away...

He was really upset recently, as the not so nice flatmate sat outside his room and made a phone call, slagging us off and saying we are bullying him and forcing him to stay in his room (I actually sent him a text, saying I don't wanna argue, but let's only talk for the sake of bills and that he doesn't have to stay in his room!).

He bullied the other guy worse, I mean he would put me down and patronise me, but the other guy he was always making digs about his culture and apparently reckons that white people brought literacy and culture in to the world. :rolleyes: Ignorant much?

The thing is, my nice flatmate had treatment for cancer in September and the cancer has come back. He is not well and does not feel safe in the house. I don't know if I should tell the not so nice flatmate, so he stops stressing him out?

But then the not so nice guy seems not so 'sane' and may try to make him worse. I am worried... Last night, man A was crying because of having to have more treatment and being so unhappy. He doesn't want to sleep in his room alone because he feels so vulnerable as to what the not so nice guy would do, or is scared to be heard crying. :(

It is a horrible situation to be in. I am trying to be strong because I don't want man A to have any more worry... But inside, I feel quite cut up.

Hmmm.. you could speak to the agency, if you can get someone to take his space they might say they will evict him, or alterntively if they are really nice evict him anyway?

also it seems like harrasment is going on, surely you can get the police involved, make an official complaint?
    my mum is really up on housing law and works in housing. She gets back this weekend and ill ask her what your rights are if you havent sorted it out by then
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Hmmm.. you could speak to the agency, if you can get someone to take his space they might say they will evict him, or alterntively if they are really nice evict him anyway?

also it seems like harrasment is going on, surely you can get the police involved, make an official complaint?

I dunno what the definition of harassment is...

He's just trying to play mind games atm... He invited a 'friend' over today and was slagging us off outside my other flatmate's room... Wtf?

I found out also, he's tried to turn people against us in social circles. Lucky not many people take him serious...