Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The PM makes a few mistakes on a letter of condolence...

...and you have the ultimate non-story of the week. According to The Sun's front page this morning: "Blundering Mr Brown left war hero Jamie Janes's grieving mother in tears by sending her an error-filled letter of condolence in which he even mis-spelled their name. The hand-written note to heartbroken Jacqui JANES about her 20-year-old son, began: Dear Mrs JAMES. Grenadier Guardsman Jamie was killed by a bomb in Afghanistan on October 5... He telephoned Jacqui today to apologise for his mistake."

As much as I hate the odious turd that is our Prime Minister, this really won't do. For a start, give Brown credit for actually writing these letters himself. Blair refused to do it, Major didn't do it either. These mistakes are a bit silly at best, and downright unfortunate at worst. We know that Brown's eyesight is quite poor and his handwriting isn't that good as a result, but at least he's trying. The Sun appear to be suggesting that this - combined with his failure to bow at the Cenotaph yesterday, mainly because he almost had a fall beforehand - shows Brown was setting out to insult a grieving mother deliberately. Say what you like about the man, (and I often do) but this suggestion is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

Aladdin will be able to testify that this shows that The Sun newspaper are - at the risk of upsetting people who think I use this word too often - utter, utter cunts. Indeed it does, and other media organisations discredit themselves today by piggy-backing on this "story". Using a grieving woman to launch a political attack on someone is thoroughly despicable. Mind you, if a "grieving mother" who complains to The Sun about the PM's handwriting after receiving a letter of condolence from him, I can't exactly work up much sympathy for her either...

Over to you.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    As much as I hate the odious turd that is our Prime Minister, this really won't do. For a start, give Brown credit for actually writing these letters himself. Blair refused to do it, Major didn't do it either. These mistakes are a bit silly at best, and downright unfortunate at worst. We know that Brown's eyesight is quite poor and his handwriting isn't that good as a result, but at least he's trying. The Sun appear to be suggesting that this - combined with his failure to bow at the Cenotaph yesterday, mainly because he almost had a fall beforehand - shows Brown was setting out to insult a grieving mother deliberately. Say what you like about the man, (and I often do) but this suggestion is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

This. I have little time for him, and don't begin to believe I understand what the mother is going through. But she receives a hand-written letter from someone who is - rightly or wrongly - one of the most authoritative and powerful people in the country... regardless of whether the spelling is accurate or not, this person actually sat down and made a personal effort to express his condolences at the loss of her son, likely whilst having plenty of other jobs that needed doing.

One poorly-written, or misspelled letter based on the handwriting of a half-blind man or a mistake in the details given to him, should not detract from the intentions of the letter.
    One poorly-written, or misspelled letter based on the handwriting of a half-blind man or a mistake in the details given to him, should not detract from the intentions of the letter.

:yes:
    Im begining to agree with SG more and more these days.
    agree with sg here too

he handwrote it, had no secretery proof read it or anything, so it would be from him to the mother

if it was typed he'd get flak like they've done in america
    if he let a secretery proofread it, it wouldn't be personal

the man is well known for his crap handwriting, like me and my typios

opps
    God, it's not like it was a completely different letter. I've lost count of the amount of times I've put a tail on my capital P's (so it makes it an R) and cursed myself after. Sheesh.

SG, revel in this, this might be the only thread where everyone agrees with you :p.
    Yep, another person agreeing with the OP. :D

What a load of shit over nothing. But I guess this is easier for the idiots at the Sun than hiring someone with the intelligence to write something meaningful about his economic policies.
    I thought it was a bit sad for the Sun to make such a personal and tragic issue so political. I also concur with SG, it's the sentiment that counts. I mean there is the point that it's not so hard to proof read something or take care to ensure neat hand writing, but that isn't really a big deal and with something as personal as this you would think the substance would transcend the form.

Also regarding the Sun, I notice they use Dutch web servers, likely because they're cheaper. I'm not a Eurosceptic myself but the Sun fancies itself a British person's paper and can't be bothered to use British companies to host it's own website.
    If you look at the photos, the specific letter in question doesn't look like his other Ms in the letter.

I'm wondering if the visual charities will pick up on this at all...
    The blind leading the blind can only lead to trouble.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Also regarding the Sun, I notice they use Dutch web servers, likely because they're cheaper. I'm not a Eurosceptic myself but the Sun fancies itself a British person's paper and can't be bothered to use British companies to host it's own website.
    It's more because online media websites don't make a great deal of money. Hence why a certain Mr Rupert Murdoch is now talking about charging people to access News International websites.

I understand that tomorrow's edition of the paper contains a transcript of a 13-minute phone call between Gordon Brown and Jacqui Janes. Apparently, Brown still insists that he got the spelling right. No online link as of yet, so shall refrain from further comment.
    I do sometimes feel sorry for Brown. Whatever he does, he just can't seem to catch a break. First he's promoted into a job he didn't really want, then his kid dies, then his other is diagnosed with some awful disease, then he writes a letter with some spelling mistakes. And the FIRST thing this woman does is tell the effing papers??!?!

I can't stand the media, and I have little patience for the people who run to the papers to sell a non-story such as this.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I do sometimes feel sorry for Brown. Whatever he does, he just can't seem to catch a break. First he's promoted into a job he didn't really want

Do you mean being Chancellor?

Yes, his first choice would have been PM over Tony Blair but he certainly revelled in being the second most powerful person in the cabinet, controlling the nations finances.

I despise the man but I do think that this attack on his letter is Sun rabble-rousing bullsh*t.
    I do sometimes feel sorry for Brown. Whatever he does, he just can't seem to catch a break. First he's promoted into a job he didn't really want, then his kid dies, then his other is diagnosed with some awful disease, then he writes a letter with some spelling mistakes. And the FIRST thing this woman does is tell the effing papers??!?!.
    The joys of chequebook journalism...
    First he's promoted into a job...
    This is wrong on both counts. If you're referring to him being Chancellor, Gordon Brown agreed to give Tony Blair a clear run for the leadership in return for him being given an extremely powerful job in any Labour government. That's why he was called the Iron Chancellor.

If you're referring to him being Prime Minister, this is also wrong. Broon wanted this job for over a decade. Why else did we constantly hear stories about him organising rebellions and smear campaigns against his own boss? In September 2006, the most serious attempt to get rid of Blair started. Brown could easily have put a stop to it. Tellingly, he didn't. Infact, he was actually pictured laughing about it when a journalist asked him about the subject.

As for Brown's seemingly endless ream of bad luck, I'm inclined to agree with the Guido Fawkes theory that he's cursed...
    WTF?

I disappear from these boards for 18 months and SG starts talking sense.

Well, to an extent anyway.

In this instance Brown is a victime of vindictive personal attacks. The "errors" referred to by The Sun are nothing other than poor handwriting from a guy who is blind in one eye. The Sun just tries to link this to an alledged lack of support for the troops in Afghanistan (linking to poor equipment stories) but overlooking the fact that he personally wirtes to all next of kin - something unheard of with previous PMs.

Does anyone else think that this is just the start of a coordinated campaign until the election?

Oh, and just in case anyone missed this perfect irony, here is an apology from The Sun for misspelling Mrs Janes name on their website:

http://tinyurl.com/y9vu92q

Oops, story over?
    Welcome back mate :)
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Welcome back mate :)

Thanks Dude. Life just got too dull without P&D to make me grind my teeth.
    MoK wrote: »
    WTF?

I disappear from these boards for 18 months and SG starts talking sense.

You'd gone? Didn't notice myself ;)

Welcome back anyway