Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Changing opticians?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have recently moved and when I was in Plymouth, I went to Specasvers; but there doesn't appear to be one that close to me. (West Hendon/Colindale)

The closest ones are Boots & D&A. How would I go about changing opticians? I'm due for an eye test in April. (the eltter I got last week says I'm overdue - but had one done at the eye infirmarye arlier this year)

Also, does anyone know what Boots and D&A are like? Are they any good?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Heya

Not really sure how you're meant to change opticians... I changed when I was quite young and so just turned up at the new one and started having appointments there. I suppose it was that easy because I didn't have much 'eye history' as I'd only just started seeing the first one quite recently anyway. Guess you could pop in to your local one and ask how it would work.

I use D&A and they're fine =] I actually switched from specsavers because I didn't like them =P. Guess it's just personal experience and preference though.
    I thinks it probably comes down to the individual practices, rather than the brands they work under.

I really ought to have an eye test... it's been a few years
    Maybe just pop into the one you're thinking about using and explain the situation? I imagine they'll ring up your old one and get notes sent over.

Or ring up your old one and ask what to do.
    Not sure what you mean by changing opticians. It's not really like a doctors. You just go to your new opticians, whichever one that may be.

I doubt there would be much use to old history, unless there is something very complicated - I'd expect the new one would need to do their own examinations anyway, rather than rely on notes from elsewhere. And of course you would tell them of any conditions you know you have.
    Mist wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by changing opticians. It's not really like a doctors. You just go to your new opticians, whichever one that may be.

:yes:

I've pretty much been to a new one every time, since I was a kid. I go to whoever has the best offer on :thumb:

They ask about your history, but they don't need to see your previous notes or prescriptions or anything.