Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

£1002.50 for a train ticket

The latest round of price rises means a first-class “walk-on” return from Newquay in Cornwall to Kyle of Lochalsh in Scotland is £1,002. Rail experts say it is the first time since services began in 1825 that passengers have been asked to pay “a grand” for a trip entirely in the UK.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23763763-first-pound-1000-rail-fare-in-history-of-british-train-travel.do

What a cunting joke our railways are...

:rolleyes: x 94,000,000
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »

I saw that on the BBC yesterday and smiled when I knew how much it'd make your piss boil. :D

Off topic: Did you see that in the expenses reform suggestions there's a recommendation that MPs don't travel first-class? I don't know anybody who gets to travel first-class on their expenses ticket!
    Continuing on the slightly off topic......

I know of several companies who let you have first class train travel on expenses on the same grounds as first class air fairs, so usually over 4 hours travel time.

Seems a tad daft for MPs to get first class for everything - call me dim and everything, but I thought they represented ordinary people.....
    No doubt the MPs will claim 'security reasons' or the need to get a table to do work as the reasons for travelling first class... :rolleyes:
    I can fly from Birmingham to Tenerife South for £33.13 and fly back to Birmingham for £21.98. That includes the airport taxes.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I can fly from Birmingham to Tenerife South for £33.13 and fly back to Birmingham for £21.98. That includes the airport taxes.

Whatever you do, please don't tell Aladdin that this is with Ryan Air! ;)

How much would you charge to take someone from Newquay in Cornwall to Kyle of Lochalsh in Scotland ?

(And would it be by pushbike ?)
    How much would you charge to take someone from Newquay in Cornwall to Kyle of Lochalsh in Scotland ?

(And would it be by pushbike ?)
    At a guess, I would charge what your typical (better quality, higher speed) nationalised or semi-nationalised railway in the Continent might- something in the region of £100-£150.

Of course, railways in the Continent are usually owned by the State, or by one or two private operators at the most, resulting in integrated ticketing systems, more regulated fares and services that are seen as vital and of national interest, rather than money-making monopolies run by greedy scum where profits are the overriding concern and 'customer service' comes last.
    At a guess, I would charge what your typical (better quality, higher speed) nationalised or semi-nationalised railway in the Continent might- something in the region of £100-£150.

Of course, railways in the Continent are usually owned by the State, or by one or two private operators at the most, resulting in integrated ticketing systems, more regulated fares and services that are seen as vital and of national interest, rather than money-making monopolies run by greedy scum where profits are the overriding concern and 'customer service' comes last.

I bet you God of Schmuck meant, quite literally, how much would you charge to physically take someone there yourself. And he'll think the comparison is sound. Just you watch.
    I bet you God of Schmuck meant, quite literally, how much would you charge to physically take someone there yourself. And he'll think the comparison is sound. Just you watch.
    'There is no such thing as trains or railways. Only contracts between individuals'. Or something.
    'There is no such thing as trains or railways. Only contracts between individuals'. Or something.

:D

I don't think he's of the same ilk as Klintock. He's more a drop-into-a-thread-and-insinuate-something-vague-while-using-a-couple-of-sentences-to-say-absolutely-nothing-at-all kind of guy.
    Don't be silly. Trains and railways are merely a state of mind, they only exist within one's head. Do keep up. :p

In two weeks time, I'm going to be moving to Northern Ireland. I shall be driving to Birkenhead, taking the ferry over to Belfast and then driving for about an hour and a half until I get to my new home. The whole thing will cost about £100 at most. At no point will I be taking the train, and at no point have I even contemplated the idea. Far too expensive.

No wonder people take the car everywhere. It's expensive, but the alternatives are even more expensive!
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    In two weeks time, I'm going to be moving to Northern Ireland. I shall be driving to Birkenhead, taking the ferry over to Belfast and then driving for about an hour and a half until I get to my new home. The whole thing will cost about £100 at most. At no point will I be taking the train, and at no point have I even contemplated the idea. Far too expensive.

Standard Single Fare from North Wales/Liverpool to Belfast is £42.

This £1002 fare would never been sold in fareness as there is an unrestricted First class Saver fare at £561.00. Its an oddity.

Well that was the question.

If I was in Newquay and desired to travel to Kyle of Lochalsh and return to Newquay, I would weigh up my options and COMPARE them. Seems the sensible thing to do.

If Aladdin made an offer to take me for £100-£150, I may well accept. I would also be very curious as to how he would manage it. Perhaps he has access to duty free fuel ? At that price minimum wage laws would more than likely be transgressed. Maybe he would enter into a private contract with me as individuals thereby bypassing state interference ?
    Well that was the question.

If I was in Newquay and desired to travel to Kyle of Lochalsh and return to Newquay, I would weigh up my options and COMPARE them. Seems the sensible thing to do.

If Aladdin made an offer to take me for £100-£150, I may well accept. I would also be very curious as to how he would manage it. Perhaps he has access to duty free fuel ? At that price minimum wage laws would more than likely be transgressed. Maybe he would enter into a private contract with me as individuals thereby bypassing state interference ?
    What in the name of fuck are you on about? :confused::confused::confused:
    For some reason, your line of argument reminds me of people whom endlessly complain when Royal Mail announce the cost of a first class stamp is going up. They always bleat "oh however will we afford to pay this extra cost". To which my response is usually "alright, you take the letter to its destination, then. Let's see if you can get a letter from, for example, Bristol up to Edinburgh. See how far you can get with your 39p train ticket..."

But I'm ranting. Nonetheless, I fail to see how it can cost over £1000 for a train company to get someone from one side of the country to the other.
    I wonder if this will encourage people to hitch hike which can be unsafe.
    £1000+? Sod that, I'd rather walk there!