Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Online Dating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so which sites have worked for people? Reccommendations please.......!

Comments

• Options
    I think its an important distinction to make, its not the site that works for people, its the people they meet.
  • Options
    Pedant alert...................!

To clarify - in my experience, and from discussions with friends who have used online sites, it is very clear that the differing styles of different sites, and the types of profiles they build, make them more or less accessible to different people - after all, you're not going to meet anyone unless you get one with the basic interface on the site in the first place.

For example - I tried Eharmony. 30 seconds into registration it asks you about marital status, complete with a drop-down menu of the available options: single, married, separated, divorced, separated and so on. I duly selected seperated because thats what I am (we're waiting the 2 years for a no-fault divorce). Continued through the site for another 20 minutes or so and THEN got the message that I couldn't participate because I wasn't single. Aaargh! The perfect man for me could have been on that site, or also disallowed from joining after wasting half an hour on pointless questions...... but now I'll never know!

So, if anyone would like to share their experiences with different sites and talk about the ones that worked best or sucked for them, please share. :thumb:
  • Options
    Yes but when you say worked, theres two ways of viewing that, sites that have found people love or not, or signing up issues, the sense of the actual process of the site working, two very different things. If you are separated surely does that not mean you're single?
  • Options
    If you're going for a two-year separation with no fault divorce, you shouldn't be dating.
  • Options
    why the hell not? We're separated, the only thing that still says 'married' is the fact we're not prepared to spend a penny more on solicitors than we have to.
    for fucks's sake...... I never really people on this site were so judgemental
  • Options
    No need to get shitty about it. People are not always going to agree.

They must have those options for a reason, so maybe you should just wait till you sign up.
  • Options
    All I said was making the distinction between to things, which you didnt really make clear to begin with. Then you jump down my throat.
  • Options
    Actually, Big Gay has a point. You need to be a bit cautious about dating while legally separated. Although you and your "ex" are, at present, on amicable terms, technically, if you are dating, they could suddenly slap an accusation of adultery on you! I am certainly in no position to be judgemental, I'm just saying "be aware".
  • Options
    They must have those options for a reason, so maybe you should just wait till you sign up.
    I had signed up - that was my point.

And I'll get as shitty as I like - I didn't ask to be patronised or for people's opinions on wether or not separated people should be allowed to get on with their lives and start dating before the formality of a piece of paper happens. I asked people to share experiences of online dating starts. period.

Fuck the lot of you, I won't be back :wave:
  • Options
    Byee! I'll miss youu!

Over it.

Anyway! You said I TRIED Not I SIGNED UP.
    Patronised? When?
    Oh...and when you explain your situation you will get opinions.
    That's what happens. I don't get your problem.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Woah... what happened here. A little more explanation when making snap statements wouldn't go amiss and to be fair guys, judgements aside, it's a valid question that I'm sure lots of people wonder about...

Dating sites are marketed differently to attract different audiences - so probably the kind of person that would use Guardian Soulmates is slightly different to your average match.com user. Best thing is to take up a few trials and see which feels right to you. :)
  • Options
    42cr wrote: »
    Fuck the lot of you, I won't be back :wave:

HURRAH !
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Woah... what happened here. A little more explanation when making snap statements wouldn't go amiss and to be fair guys, judgements aside, it's a valid question that I'm sure lots of people wonder about...

I dont think anyone said it wasnt valid. All be it a very vague and hard to answer question as experiances will play a part on recomendations. I just think there was no need for him to get all huffy (even if i did too :p) about the situation and peoples comments.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Dating sites are marketed differently to attract different audiences - so probably the kind of person that would use Guardian Soulmates is slightly different to your average match.com user.

How would you characterise typical users of each of these sites, just out of interest?
    How about trying the My Single Friend site? Think you need to be recommended (obviously!) though x
  • Options
    I think all the points made until the OP fecked off were related to the question.

I think the whole point in having this place here would be useless if people only came to seek the advice they allready knew they wanted to hear and nothing else on top.