Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Personal Statments!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So, im in the process of writing my personal statement, im applying to a visual communication degree, which is graphic design but it also includes photography/illustration/moving picture.

Im having a hard time opening my personal statement, theres going to be alot of people applying for one place, espcially because its a art based degree is going to be quite competitive so i really need my personal statement to jump out and catch peoples attention. Alot of people are doing the bog standard "I wish to study graphic design because....." or "Ever since doing my National Diploma i've gained....." very boring in my opinion. I just want a different or unique opening line, nothing really extravagant to the point that is stupid.

Also how shoud i structure it? My tutors are suppose to be helping me, but im quite infront of people in my ucas application and i also want to beat the last minute rush after x-mas so i want to get is sent off at the end of november the latest.

Please help! :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ahh personal statements!

I'm writing mine as well :(

I have to say I hate the standard first lines most people start with. Mine starts off with a fact about DNA but you can't really do that :p

You could maybe start with a fact about your fave artist then it kind of let's you move on to how much you want to do the course and why?
    Or an artist you really like and how they inspired you.

I'm not sure it's quite hard!
    Its a bloooody pain in the arse :p

I suppppose i could start with a quote from one of my fav artist, and say how they inspire me! argh :/ Once this is done i'll be fine, its just stressing me out! Have you got a sort of structure to set it out?

(off subject) where are you applying to? :)
    First line is the worst part!

Umm so far it's got: fact, enthusistic bit (why I want to do the course and such lark) skills I have from things I do outside school and how that applies to the course. Sounds crap without me writing it lol (not saying it good though haha)
    We have been told to use I as little as possible at the start of sentences as it gets boring - about the only advice we have had when I think about it!

So far I'm appling to, Abertay in Dundee for two course's, RGU in Aberdeen, and Napier in Edinburgh but I don't thing I want to go to Edinburgh. You?
    If you look on UCAS it gives you a good guide on what to include, so you could just use that as a structure. Some unis also have info on their websites on what they'd like to see in a personal statement.

Can't remember for sure but when I applied I think they wanted to know why I wanted to study the course, what I'd read etc and why it interested me and then about yourself - skills, qualities, extra curricular activities.
    First line is the worst part!

Umm so far it's got: fact, enthusistic bit (why I want to do the course and such lark) skills I have from things I do outside school and how that applies to the course. Sounds crap without me writing it lol (not saying it good though haha)
    We have been told to use I as little as possible at the start of sentences as it gets boring - about the only advice we have had when I think about it!

So far I'm appling to, Abertay in Dundee for two course's, RGU in Aberdeen, and Napier in Edinburgh but I don't thing I want to go to Edinburgh. You?

tutor wasnt in today :( hopefully she will be in tomorrow! Exactly, and we've been told not to use "love" alot either.....

Birmingham, Middlesex, Lincoln, Huddersfield and leeds :) dont really fancy going to a local uni like notts, derby of sheffield
    If you look on UCAS it gives you a good guide on what to include, so you could just use that as a structure. Some unis also have info on their websites on what they'd like to see in a personal statement.

Can't remember for sure but when I applied I think they wanted to know why I wanted to study the course, what I'd read etc and why it interested me and then about yourself - skills, qualities, extra curricular activities.

Ahh, i looked on some of the sites, not much info theres more info about what your portfolio should consist of and interviews. Do you think i should e-mail the tutors course/admission officer, os is that too forward? I have a ucas trip to london to see different unis but theres a chance that the course tutors that i want may not be there....