Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Vista laptop not loading/keeps freezing!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Pleeeease help!!

Lately its been freezing quite alot but turn it on and off again and its fine. Last night, as soon as I'd turned it on and tried to open anything it froze. It runs in Safe Mode perfectly fine. I also found on the help section that i should try doing a system repair using my Windows installation disc, but i have no idea where it is or if I even have one!

Doing a system restore at the mo which was last dated a couple of days ago before all this started so fingers crossed.

Anyone got any ideas?!

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Look at what you have installed that might be causing trouble, search for viruses/spyware, check what starts with your system (Run "msconfig" and see the "startup" tab)...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    All sorted now. I tried running AVG in Safe Mode and it was the only that froze the laptop. I uninstalled it and now it works fine. However, trying to download it again, messed it up so now I'm trying ad-aware.
    AVG and ad-aware don't really do the same work. You need an antivirus as well. Try avast!, if AVG was trouble.
    Downloaded AVG again, scanned laptop and everythings so far so good! God, i hate my laptop sometimes
    I'm glad you have it sorted Lexi. Note - if it happens again and you isolate it to AVG, it's worth checking that there isn't another antivirus running. The big-brand machines often come with a 90-day Norton bundled with it.
    Yea i did have Norton but the years subscription ended so I uninstalled it. Dont think that should be a problem
    Look at what you have installed that might be causing trouble, search for viruses/spyware, check what starts with your system (Run "msconfig" and see the "startup" tab)...

Ok, its happening again! I'm in safe mode at the moment which is fine but when I try to run it normally it freezes after about 5 seconds.

I did what it says here but I dont know what I'm looking for, can anyone help?
    Basically, look in "programs and features" for any "strange" programs you didn't install. Search with an antispyware program (like Spybot S&D), and antivirus. Then go to that msconfig tab and try to google the name of each program there that you don't recognize and see if any of them are malware.