Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Best OS for Netbook

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm considering sending a relative my old netbook in about 3 weeks time

It's an EEEPC 701 with 512MB RAM and 4GB SDD

I'd previously send them a Pentium 3 Laptop with Windows XP on it and was all running nicely but they managed to trash it in 2 months and now Windows won't boot and they're not computer literate enough to fix it themselves and don't know anyone that can help them.

So I want the thing to be as idiot proof as possible and as stable as possible.

Suggestion ... ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ubuntu Netbook Remix, the new version comes out Thursday 29th and carries many improvements in the user interface, it supposed to boot really fast on an SSD drive as well. I've just checked Google and Ubuntu appears to work perfectly with that netbook.
    Reformat the P III with Win XP again, but password the local admin account and create a limited user for them mwhaha! They can't wreck it with Limewire and Incredimail then!
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Reformat the P III with Win XP again, but password the local admin account and create a limited user for them mwhaha! They can't wreck it with Limewire and Incredimail then!

Agreed, my mum kept messing up her laptop so I changed her account to a standard user but kept the admin rights to myself. She can still do everything she needs to on it, but not she can't mess it up.
    Same with t'other half.. never give her admin rights.
    EEEBuntu.
    Ubuntu Netbook Remix, the new version comes out Thursday 29th and carries many improvements in the user interface, it supposed to boot really fast on an SSD drive as well. I've just checked Google and Ubuntu appears to work perfectly with that netbook.

I installed it but they're morons - half the stuff for configuring new software is too tall to fit on the screen, so you have to guess what's in the box under neath - to install soem things I'm going to have to cnnect it to an external monitor
    Monserrat wrote: »

I'm more worried about viruses, spyware, malware, etc
    DG wrote: »
    I'm more worried about viruses, spyware, malware, etc
    Well can we stop them when we are on windows, just install avg on it and i think it would be enough. And be ready that it will crash again! because it has windows on it.