Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tel me about data recovery

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, my laptops not working at all I've been at it for 4 hours trying to figure out whats gone wrong and I dont know

I took it down to PC World and they say they can do a data recovery for me but i'll need the Toshiba disks. I think i might as well do it as my laptops so full of crap it really does need to be wiped and start again.

So how do i do this? Can anyone tell me where i can get the disks from, or if I can do it myself or what?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Data recovery = recovering data from a corrupt, crashed, or damaged hard drive.
    Operating system reinstall = wiping the machine and reinstalling using the manufacturers discs.

I'm guessing you mean the latter?
    i'd try and find someone cheaper than pc world tbh. they'll charge an arm and a leg for one of their technicians to follow the instructions that came in the box with your laptop.
    Customers who have purchased a Toshiba notebook computer from early 2008 onwards may find there are no recovery DVDs in the box. This includes models from the A300, L300 and L350 ranges.

This is because Toshiba have now adopted a HDD recovery process, with the option for customers to create their own recovery DVDs using a special preinstalled utlity.

For more information on the new Toshiba HDD recovery and Recovery DVD Creator utility, please follow the links below:

*On the instrcutions page it says 'How to restore your Toshiba notebook's software to factory default.'

I found this which I think my laptop can do. I dont need a data recovery cos I can get all my files from safe mode and i'm gonna back them up on disks and stuff. But yes, basically i wanna start again and get it back to factory default which i think HDD recovery can do.
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    *On the instrcutions page it says 'How to restore your Toshiba notebook's software to factory default.'

I found this which I think my laptop can do. I dont need a data recovery cos I can get all my files from safe mode and i'm gonna back them up on disks and stuff. But yes, basically i wanna start again and get it back to factory default which i think HDD recovery can do.

If you can get all your files in safe mode it means that whatever problem you have with your laptop is repairable, and probably fairly easily.
    Why don't you post what the actual issue is with the laptop, your Operating system e.t.c. and we'll see what we can do.
    Ok, when I go into normal mode, sometimes it loads up fine and then after about 5 seconds it will freeze completely, other times it gets to the blue welcome screen, stays there for about 10 seconds and then goes to a black screen.

A friend helped with System Configuration and unchecking boxes in the Startup tab but when i got to normal mode, i had no sound and no internet. I sat for about 4 hours today trying to find whatever it was that was causing the problem and nothing.

*I'm on Vista
    Sounds like a software problem, either corrupted files or a virus.

With safe mode, there is an option to boot up with diagnostics. It'll save a file and on the file the last entry will be the software that caused you to crash. Delete/uninstall that software and job's a fish.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Sounds like a software problem, either corrupted files or a virus.

With safe mode, there is an option to boot up with diagnostics. It'll save a file and on the file the last entry will be the software that caused you to crash. Delete/uninstall that software and job's a fish.

Wait wait, where do I find that? Im a bit dense about this sort of thing
    When you goto the menu on startup where you select safe mode, there should be an option for diagnostics (or a similar sounding menu).

It's gonna be difficult to talk you through it unfortunately. I'm a do-er, not a teach-er I'm afraid, I can fix stuff but I'm useless at explaining how I do it lol.
    Well well well who's a genius and got it working again?

I went through msconfig and loaded it with only diagnostics, that was fine.
    Then loaded everything in the Startup tab, that was fine.
    Went to the services tab and loaded Audio (cos i really wanted it working) and AVG and it wouldnt start. So safe mode, uninstall AVG and everything works fine now :D

Only thing is this is the second time AVG has done this to me and i've ad to uninstall and reinstall it. Is there anything else I can that won't do this?
    Avira Antivir and Avast! are both free antivirus alternatives to AVG.
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Well well well who's a genius

Typically the one who needn't worry about a trojan or virus... ;)