Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Worried about my son!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can anyone help or give me advice. My son is 18 just started at university and is not making friends.....so has stopped going and is back hanging out with people who don't go to college/school/work and smokes weed all day. He comes home when I am in work and showers then goes back out to avoid me and if I ask questions he lies to me. I suspect that he may be dealing as well. He is a bright boy and up until know we have had a good relationship and talk about most stuff sex/weed/etc. He does not have a good relationship with his father and we are divorced have been since 2005 and his father has remarried. My son lives with me and my 16 year old daughter who does spend time with her dad. I am going to contact the uni to see if they can help but I feel so lost and hurt as my kids are my life and I would do anything for them, I just want to help him that is why I have joined this site!
Any advice would be gratefully received. :-)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think you should tackle his not going to uni, i don't think its ok to enrol and then not turn up to any lectures, waste of everyone's time and money; that is the only way he's going to make friends there and integrate, avoiding a problem won't solve it.
    Cymrulass wrote: »
    Can anyone help or give me advice. My son is 18 just started at university and is not making friends.....so has stopped going and is back hanging out with people who don't go to college/school/work and smokes weed all day. He comes home when I am in work and showers then goes back out to avoid me and if I ask questions he lies to me. I suspect that he may be dealing as well. He is a bright boy and up until know we have had a good relationship and talk about most stuff sex/weed/etc. He does not have a good relationship with his father and we are divorced have been since 2005 and his father has remarried. My son lives with me and my 16 year old daughter who does spend time with her dad. I am going to contact the uni to see if they can help but I feel so lost and hurt as my kids are my life and I would do anything for them, I just want to help him that is why I have joined this site!
    Any advice would be gratefully received. :-)

I was searching around the forum and ran into this. Made me register also, just to help you. So hear me out. I've had the same problem as you. I made him to go rehab and talked to him about those things. I even give him things too. I said if he stopped smoking weed and doing drugs period, I'll give him 500 dollars to spend on himself. So he bought this xbox game console. And after a few months. I've caught him again, skipping school and smoking in my backyard. So I said, I've had enough and told my wife we have to move. So we moved to another state. And he yelled and argued and etc. He ran away but we found him. And when he went to the new school, he hung around with cousins that are good. and other relatives. So he don't hang with those smokers anymore. and have all A's and B's. So its good to have family around. And by the way, he's 15 getting ready to turn 16. Hope this helped. :D :thumb:
    How knowledgeable are you about weed?
    Can I ask what he's supposed to be studying and what his and your hopes were from that?