Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

self harm nd hospitals

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok so i just woundered if you go to a hospital as a result of self harm let say to get stiches for a cut do they just sticht you up and send you on your way or do they keep u there ?? i just need no any advise would be mush appreciated thanks
just to let u no im just turning 19 and live in UK as i no things are different for under 18,

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think this link will help you out. :]
    If you're over 18, they wont ring home ect. But if you tell them it's self harm, they might keep you and lecture you about help. So if you don't want that, then say it was an accident.

However, just for any under 18's... I know from experiance they wont let you leave till they ring your parents/carers. Then they have to have a chat with them, if they think you are a danger to yourself and/or others. Also, if you leave the hospital they ring the police.
    X
    i just worry that i would admited and i really cant hav that
    I went to the minor injuries place, and they just gave me a bit of a lecture is all. I think hospital would do the same- they can't keep you, you can just discharge yourself if they admit you.
    Heya :wave:

Firstly, i really hope you're feeling OK!

None of us here can tell us what will happen. We can suggest what could happen and what the healthcare professionals should do. But that is it i'm afraid.

Right... if you do need an injury seen to please go to A&E. If you have to lie about how you did it, then fair enough, but get it seen to.

Having said that, i'm not saying that lying is what I think you should do. Telling the truth may lead to you getting some help and support. Do you have any reason to think you'll be admitted? I mean I don't know your situation but I do know that being sectioned is a last resort. And I guess well if you do fit into that group of people where it is deemed necessary... then perhaps it is for the best. Would it be that bad anyway?

Are you getting any other help, have you seen your GP about the things that may be leading you to self-harm? Maybe that could be a first step...

Let us know how you're doing, take care