Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hurtful words on Twitter

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys- there's this widget that pulls from Twitter the amount of times hurtful phrases (ie dyke, homo, etc) are being used on Twitter. The number for today is already unreal- it's like at 950 already.

Do you guys use any of the words they're counting (check the site here: http://www.thinkb4youspeak.com/glsen/slur/) online?

Comments

• Options
    i've never seen hurtful words on twitter a part from that guy that started a bitch fight with me...
  • Options
    Hey Precious- I think a lot of people call things “gay” without realizing that they may be hurting someone’s feelings (I mean look at how many people use it on twitter, ha!). I’m sure an apology would be appreciated – you can even send an ecard.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Dyke might not necessarily be meant in the lesbian sense. It could be a reference to Dick Van Dyke, for instance. Perhaps someone's talking about Greg Dyke, the man who used to head the Beeb a few years ago? Perhaps they're discussing Offa's Dyke. Or it might even be a reference to this absolutely hilarious clip from The Generation Game a few years ago?
  • Options
    tbh imo the word gay has changed so much from what it was originally used for, it used to mean "happy", then it changed to "homosexual", now the younger generations (i.e. me and my mates) use it not to insult homosexuals (hell i have a metric shit tonne of gay and lesbian friends and i've got no problem with it) but to say that its something we don't like, none of my G or L friends take any offence and i've asked them if it does cause them offence so you gotta think in the context its used in before u can call it offensive
  • Options
    curly_boy wrote: »
    tbh imo the word gay has changed so much from what it was originally used for, it used to mean "happy", then it changed to "homosexual", now the younger generations (i.e. me and my mates) use it not to insult homosexuals (hell i have a metric shit tonne of gay and lesbian friends and i've got no problem with it) but to say that its something we don't like, none of my G or L friends take any offence and i've asked them if it does cause them offence so you gotta think in the context its used in before u can call it offensive

:yes:
  • Options
    curly_boy wrote: »
    That's fine in that context, then, but some gay people do find it offensive; it's not all about your friends and your age group.
  • Options
    All the time. Of course just like with swearing, company and context matters when you use offensive labels.
  • Options
    All the time. Of course just like with swearing, company and context matters when you use offensive labels.
    Exactly.