Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Nick Griffin on Question Time

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I imagine so he could point out it was Churchill...

Ooohhh yes!

Although it wouldn't be a particularly useful quote for Nick Griffin though, given that it's essentially arguing that there's no divine right for a particular race or culture to lay exclusive claim to a bit of land by merit of the fact that they've lived there for a long time. It's a green light for imperialism, which apparently Nick Griffin is entirely against. But the fact that people have to look back 70 years to find a mainstream politician that says things as objectionable as Nick Griffin tells you everything you need to know though. Abraham Lincoln was racist too, but that doesn't mean he wasn't an example of a massively progressive liberal at the time.
  • Options
    Oh look what's happened...

Support for BNP rises after TV appearance- more than 1 in 5 might now vote for them

Well, I'm not one for usually saying 'I told you so' but...

I. Told. You. So.

Trebles all around.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

Support for BNP rises after TV appearance- more than 1 in 5 might now vote for them

I. Told. You. So.

Trebles all around.

And...? Does that invalidate the argument about freedom of speech?

I'd take the argument against them more seriously if I hadn't heard Ken Livingstone spouting against facism, given that he supported the fascist Sinn Fein (a party which still reveres a man who died on a Nazi U-boat and has links to a terrorist group which murdered people because of their religion)
  • Options
    And...? Does that invalidate the argument about freedom of speech?
    No it doesn't, but it certainly does invalidate the much-repeated argument that giving the BNP top exposure will turn people off voting for them. It seems the contrary is the case.
  • Options
    No it doesn't, but it certainly does invalidate the much-repeated argument that giving the BNP top exposure will turn people off voting for them. It seems the contrary is the case.

The people have spoken (kinda) and you don't like it. Get over it.

Charles Moore in this morning's Torygraph has it spot on.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/charlesmoore/6418583/Our-smug-leaders-have-done-nothing-to-see-off-the-BNP.html
  • Options
    The people have spoken (kinda) and you don't like it. Get over it.
    I wasn't the one claiming all over the shop that the way to defeat the BNP is by giving them free platform to speak from.

There's another thing to consider: Griffin was ambushed and stitched up and the entire programme was centered about the BNP. That is a first in Question Time, and the format was changed on purpose to attack Griffin.

Now, I don't have a problem with that, but it's all very well to campaign for the 'right' of the BNP to appear in QT when it ends up being an orchestrated ambush job.

If Griffin was to be invited again to another edition, this time a normal one not tailor-made to destroy him, and they got to discuss normal topics in which race has little to do with anything, the BNP would undoubtedly gain massive new support.

As you yourself put it earlier on this thread:
    Law & Order: remove the oppressive bureaucracy from the legislate and the police so they can get back to the business of catching and locking up bad guys. Reading the excellent blogs by Nightjack (formerly), Inspector Gadget and the Magistrate's Blog "The Law West of Ealing Broadway", if they're at all indicative of the opinion of the wider police and legislative population, the bureaucracy does need to go if they are to do their jobs properly.

Agriculture: More investment in organic farming, reimposition of exclusion zones around the coast for fishing

Health: Fully committed to the NHS, more money for doctors and nurses

Transport: More investment in public transport, opposition to extra runway at Heathrow and more investment in rail travel to bring it up to the standard of the rest of Europe

Environment: "The polluter cleans up the mess", move away from ghastly 60's Stalinist architecture

Few more tasty titbits:

- More devolution of power to the people for Gov't decisions, i.e. referenda on key decisions, something which has been noticable by its absence in recent years
    - More money for old folks
    - No more defence spending cuts
    - Pull out of Afghanistan

So, how many of you lot would be prepare to continue to grant the BNP free publicity in top political programmes in which the main topics of discussion are the above? Are you prepared to accept the consequences?
  • Options

In that case we need a better argument to defeat them than the BNP is bad...
  • Options
    There's another thing to consider: Griffin was ambushed and stitched up and the entire programme was centered about the BNP. That is a first in Question Time, and the format was changed on purpose to attack Griffin.

Now, I don't have a problem with that, but it's all very well to campaign for the 'right' of the BNP to appear in QT when it ends up being an orchestrated ambush job.

If Griffin was to be invited again to another edition, this time a normal one not tailor-made to destroy him, and they got to discuss normal topics in which race has little to do with anything, the BNP would undoubtedly gain massive new support.

To be honest that's probably the reason - it was so obvious a human form of bear baiting that he starts to pick up sympathy support.

still I look forward to Sinn Fein being given the same treatment... not that it'll ever happen. Some facist parties are acceptable after all :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The only people who would realise that Nick Griffin is the cnut that he is, are people who allready think so.

Just because the BNP has a legitimacy to appear on Question Time, doesnt actually mean that they have to?
  • Options

Bollocks, essentially. Statistics can prove anything, after all.
    YouGov have a poll in tomorrow’s Telegraph, the first since Nick Griffin’s appearance on Question Time. It was carried out late yesterday and all day today. There isn’t actually very much detail in the Telegraph’s report, but there’s more at ConservativeHome.

The topline voting intentions, with changes from the poll last weekend, are CON 40%(-1), LAB 27%(-3), LDEM 19%(+2), BNP 3%(+1). So while the BNP support is up, it is nothing significant. 2-3% has been pretty much the norm for their support over the last couple of months, and the most recent YouGov/Telegraph poll at the end of September also had them at 3%. For the other parties, Labour are down from the 30% to 27%, more in line with the ICM and Ipsos MORI figures in the week. YouGov still have the Conservatives down at 40% in comparison to 44% and 43% from ICM and MORI.

Anyway, the poll will really be looked at for evidence of how the BNP’s Question Time appearance has gone down, rather than the main parties. As well as voting intention, YouGov asked whether people had positive or negative opinions of the smaller parties – questions that it last asked in June straight after the European elections. Back then 11% of people had a positive impression of the BNP and 72% a negative impression, today’s figures are 9% positive and 71% negative, so no sign of any improvement in people’s opinion of the BNP either. Despite all the hoohah and protests, despite the millions of people who watched Question Time, it doesn’t seem to have made any significant difference to how the public view them, or how likely they are to support them (or at least, not yet).

Asked how likely people would be to vote BNP in a future local, general or European election. 66% said there were no circumstances at all, 15% said it was “possible”, which I suspect is more of a “never say never answer”. More significant are the 7% who would definitely or probably consider voting BNP at some point in the future.

What has changed was attitudes to the BBC’s decision to invite Griffin onto Question Time. At the weekend 63% thought it was right, 23% wrong. Now the balance of opinion has shifted further in favour of the BBC’s decision, 74% thinking it was right, and only 11% wrong.

UK Polling

So they increased from 2% to 3%, which is statistically insignificant. There's no evidence of non-BNP voters turning to the BNP, merely existing BNP members becoming more vocal and more active. When it comes to the general elections, they'll be a non-entity as usual. The figure who would consider voting for the BNP before Question Time seems to mysteriously missing from the article you posted though.
  • Options
    I'd imagine the audience would have disagreed with the quote if it was uttered in front of them. Though not necessarily with the person who'd said it, if it had been said years beforehand.

Why are you asking?

I am asking because the audience's emotional responses were often based on pre-prepared quotes that were read out.

However,I do not understand your reply.

Are you saying that time is a great healer for some people's sensitivities ?
  • Options
    Ooohhh yes!

Although it wouldn't be a particularly useful quote for Nick Griffin though, given that it's essentially arguing that there's no divine right for a particular race or culture to lay exclusive claim to a bit of land by merit of the fact that they've lived there for a long time. It's a green light for imperialism, which apparently Nick Griffin is entirely against. But the fact that people have to look back 70 years to find a mainstream politician that says things as objectionable as Nick Griffin tells you everything you need to know though. Abraham Lincoln was racist too, but that doesn't mean he wasn't an example of a massively progressive liberal at the time.

I'd say objectionable is subjective and not universal as your reply seems to imply.

You also appear to use the term racist as an insult and therefore, by implication again, anyone you deem a racist is (universally) objectionable.

Is your opinion emotionally based or rationally based ?
  • Options
    I'd say objectionable is subjective and not universal as your reply seems to imply.
    What makes you think that? I'd say the very fact that I was talking about the shifting values of the last 70 years would make it pretty obvious that it was subjective.
    You also appear to use the term racist as an insult and therefore, by implication again, anyone you deem a racist is (universally) objectionable.

Is your opinion emotionally based or rationally based ?
    Do you always insist on telling people what their opinion is? Racism is something you can define objectively, and it is my opinion that racism is a bad thing. It happens to be most other people's opinion too.
  • Options
    What makes you think that? I'd say the very fact that I was talking about the shifting values of the last 70 years would make it pretty obvious that it was subjective.

Do you always insist on telling people what their opinion is? Racism is something you can define objectively, and it is my opinion that racism is a bad thing. It happens to be most other people's opinion too.

Always ? I was not aware that I had told anyone what their opinion was.

Would you care to define racism objectively ?
  • Options
    Yes, it's the preference of one race over another. Pretty simple, really.
  • Options
    Yes, it's the preference of one race over another. Pretty simple, really.

So an oriental prefering orientals to others is a bad thing ?

Or hispanics showing preference to hispanics is bad thing?
  • Options
    You have nothing to worry about, Aladdin. This is merely the same kind of boost that parties enjoy after events such as party conferences. BNP support will rise for the next week or so, and then everyone will remember that they're actually political vermin.

Oh, and two thirds of respondents to that poll said they would not vote BNP "under any circumstances".
  • Options
    Thought the show was a farce. I know Aladdin doesn't like the BNP but you have very blinkered vision in this I think. 3/4 questions were about the BNP. The only other time I've seen 'bullying' is when Geoff Hoon was on.

The problem is the BBC had a good opportunity to present a neutral argument and really dispel the 'myths' that the BNP just does good things. Because we know that the BNP will hide it's true colours and will not preach about getting rid of the darkies, but instead 'securing jobs and livelihoods for British workers'.

Instead, it was a pantomime as others have said. It was ridiculous, and that undermines completely the opportunity to really weigh what the BNP stand for and represent. In fact it could even have the opposite effect - the BNP says the media is biased against them and in bizarre fashion the BBC puts on a completely one sided single issue show which just confirms that opinion.
  • Options
    I am asking because the audience's emotional responses were often based on pre-prepared quotes that were read out.

However,I do not understand your reply.

Are you saying that time is a great healer for some people's sensitivities ?

No, I'm saying attitudes change over time.
  • Options
    Another mickey take on Nicholas Griffin's (as Peter Hitchens insists on calling him, for some reason) appearance last week. Much more foul-mouthed than Cassette Boy's version...