Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stupid stuff and nonsense

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm posting this in relationships, but I suppose it could go anywhere really. I'm not necessarily looking for responses, as I'm not sure what advice there is to give, but I'm hoping that at least writing things down might get them off my chest.

I'm feeling really crappy about a number of things at the moment and really want to get out of this negative mindset, particularly as some of the things I'm fretting over are bloody ridiculous.

Firstly, over the past few weeks I've become increasingly....obsessed....with marriage. I made a thread back in September about how me and my boyfriend had a conversation about marriage, where basically he said he was neutral on the issue. At the time I was really really glad that at last we'd had a proper conversation about this and that I knew where he stands etc., as he's always been a great one for sending out mixed messages on the subject. I've also always thought that I wasn't that fussed and if it never happens, well, it never happens, and that we're fine the way we are, but recently it's started to really eat me up. Over the past few years so many friends, relations, old school friends and exes have tied the knot, and the horrible part of my brain keeps asking what's wrong with me, why doesn't he want to marry me, as if it's all about jumping on the bandwaggon, when I KNOW it's not about doing what everyone else is doing (in fact it's nobody else's business whether we do or don't get married, and similarly, what they do shouldn't have a baring on us) and I KNOW it's not personal. He loves me to bits and sees a future for us, but just isn't that fussed about marriage. And he actually said on the day we were talking about it that he would get married 'for me', but I said - and honestly believe - that that isn't good enough and that I couldn't accept a proposal unless he wanted to do it as much for him as well as for me. So know I suppose I'm also wondering how, if a proposal ever does waft my way, I ensure that he is genuine about it. I suppose it also doesn't help that a lot of our married friends tease us about it - he asked a mate when he and his wife were going to have kids (they've recently extended their house, so the odds are on it won't be in the far too distant future) and he replied, 'when you two get engaged', and then another time when we said we weren't doing any proper holidays this year, the friend said, 'saving for the honeymoon?' It's all so stupid.

And on a different, but related note, I am so scared about my career, or lack thereof. I've finished my PhD and am now working full time as a secondary school administrator while I look for more career-related jobs. I feel so unsatisfied, yet I've only been doing it a couple of months and feel guilty because I should be glad I've got anything at all, but I also seem to be making loads of silly mistakes and I keep thinking if I can't cope with a low-level admin job, how the hell do I expect to be able to cope with an academic or research post. I've also got to the point where I think my thesis is shit and contributes nothing, which is really difficult in trying to think where to go next with it, or applying for fellowships etc. I'm now on half term and need to make the most of the opportunity to go to the National Archives and find additional bits for working on expanding my thesis, but I just keep thinking 'what's the point?' All this kind of relates to the above paragraph because I keep wondering what the hell my boyfriend (a lawyer) is doing with an admin worker and I'm not good enough for him, and no wonder he doesn't want to marry me. My confidence is at rock bottom and I need to find a way to get out of this deep trough I've dug for myself and think positively, but I really don't know where to begin. Knowing that half my thoughts are ridiculous doesn't stop me thinking them.

Thanks for reading. Hopefully having written this down will have purged things a bit.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Meryn. Hope you are doing ok? You really sound like your confidence is at a low point alright, & I Know exactly how you feel! I think one of the reasons you feel like you do is because you feel like you have no control over your life, & you need to get that back! I don't know what your relationship with your boyfriend is like in general so I can't tell you what to do, but I do know that if you feel your boyfriend is messing you around on the marriage issue, I'd definelty re-consider the relationship & where it's headed! You are 27, (by your profile) so think about a five year plan for yourself. Do you want to be married & have a baby in the next 5 years? Is your boyfriend the right one to do those things with? Would you put up with a proposal thats only beacuse you want to marry? Just because he's a laywer doesn't make him more special than you! Working as an administrator is great, there are so many people with no jobs! Look on it as a stepping stone. But most of all, you need to protect "you", so don't let him mess you around, marrying you only because you want to get married is ridicolous. You deserve a man that can't get a ring on your finger fast enough, I hope your boyfriend appreciates that YOUare with HIM, & if I were you I’d be telling him that!;)
  • Options
    Thanks for replying, NavyBlue.
    NavyBlue wrote: »
    I don't know what your relationship with your boyfriend is like in general so I can't tell you what to do, but I do know that if you feel your boyfriend is messing you around on the marriage issue, I'd definelty re-consider the relationship & where it's headed!

No. Marriage - or lack of - has never been a deal-breaker for me. Partly why I'm so confused about how I feel right now. We've been together 8 and a half years, living together for 5, in our own - jointly owned - flat for one. I have absolutely no doubt about his love and commitment for me. We do want kids in the future - probably no later than 5 years time - and I suppose that's another thing that's worrying me. I want at least a bit of 'career' first, and at the moment I have absolutely no idea if and when I'm going to be able to do something PhD-related before I have to start thinking about maternity leave! Yes, 5 years is a long way off, but I know how quickly this year's spread by!

I honestly don't think he's been 'messing me around' on the marriage issue and the mixed messages may be more an indications of shifts in what he's wanted at different points. I completely understand why he could be cynical about the whole thing - his parents split up when he was 22 and I think that really floored him - and so it would be unfair for me to pressurise him about it if he really does feel it's not for him. I just wish I could feel better and happier about it though.
  • Options
    Hey there. Well, if marriage isn't a major issue then thats great, you've been together for so long, My husband & I were together 9 years when we married, but we just felt it was time. There is one issue that I can advise you on, I got married in summer 2008, at 33 years, & have had 2 miscarriages since. If I could turn back time, I would have tried for a baby, much sooner, But I wanted to wait until we could afford to get married! How bloody stupid! Now I'm terrified of getting pregnant again in case of another miscarriage. If you want a baby, don't put your career first, because your 20's are your best bet for it to work out, whether you have a ring or not! If I had my time back, I'd have gone for a pregnancy, & gotten over what everyone else thought of me... good luck & do what feels right for you!