Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Police drugs test

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Having been arrested on a theft charge this morning I was automatically tested for drugs by means of a saliva swab and machine in the police station. The test was for Heroin, Cocaine, and Crack, I have never used any drugs at all let alone those I have just mentioned. The test came back positive for Cocaine......how can that be????

I told the office there must be a mistake and offered a secondary sample either blood or urine but was declined. The original swab has been sent to be re-tested at a laboratory if it comes back clean the record will show a false positive however, at the time of arrest I was booked to attend counselling in 2 weeks time. Failure to attend will command either upto 3 months in prison or a fine of £2500.

My problem, I have never ever taken any drugs but am worried the audit trail from opening the swab packet to sending it for further testing is difficult to reconcile, if this were a case of drink driving a blood sample is offered to be taken. I am currently raising complaints through normal police channels but getting fobbed off at every turn.

Does anybody have information on the reliability of these tests or the correct course of appeal?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The reason they wouldn't take a second sample is probably because they might think it could be out your system or you could of done something to tamper with the results ect. Have you actually been shown the results? If not, demand to see them.

I don't think you could make a complaint, because in their eyes your a criminal. Why did they take the sample anyway?

On the advice page of http://www.shadowcs.co.uk/ you can write a 'letter' and your question will be answered with in a week probs.
    X
    I guess you've just got to wait for the results of the re-test to come through and if it is still positive go ahead with the 'counselling'.
    yeahwalk wrote: »
    I guess you've just got to wait for the results of the re-test to come through and if it is still positive go ahead with the 'counselling'.

If he's genuinely innocent he shouldn't have to behave as if guilty by going to some useless counselling session.
    If this is right it's outragous.
    I hope you find a way to prove your innocence.
    The ending

2 police officers turned up at my door again only this time different ones, waving an envelope. The secondary drugs test had come back negative, they came in person to apologise. The letter offered no apology but actually confirmed it was negative and it stated I should be reminded that Stockport drugs task force would pursue offenders...............blah blah blah, no apology for the week I had to suffer wrongly accused of drug taking. The police also confirmed that no further action would be taken regarding the theft either as they had no evidence. If this was the case then why arrest me in the first place???

This is blatant disregard for human rights, I was informed they do not require a search warrant anymore which explains why some ill-educated police officers are arresting innocent people without any evidence just because they can

Its a Travesty!!!!!!!!!!!
    What do you expect? The Police assumed you were a user and therefore scum.

Drug tests which give an instant result are known to be frequently wrong, they are only about 97% or so accurate, which isnt anywhere near enough.