Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Holocaust.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Briefly putting my point across...

It is utterly impossible to deny the holocaust! There is so much evidence of so much of it happening, no one can deny it.

I would like to understand how people think the holocaust never happened.

Comments

• Options
    Um.. who thinks it didnt happen?
  • Options
    Well, the BNP for starters, and many Nazis up and down the world.
  • Options
    Oh ok ignore my comment then, i'm not up to date on all that malarky.
  • Options
    Of course you can deny it. Being completely retarded helps.

That said, I don't believe it should be a crime, like it is in France & Germany. That's just stupid.
  • Options
    Questioning the official version of events as in regards to the Holocaust is perfectly legitimate. It's only because of people asking awkward questions that we know the true extent of how many millions were killed during the Holocaust - the ways people were gassed to death, the way people were lined up and shot as their bodies fell one by one into giant open graves, etc etc.

But to deny the Holocaust actually happened, against all the evidence that it was an all too real event, is breathtakingly stupid and defies belief. Should it be a crime to deny it ever happened? No, that's just retarded.
  • Options
    Why would anyone deny anything that's blatantly a fact? The first reason is that they've got an agenda that makes them flat out deny the evidence, or only favour evidence that supports their pre-existing opinion (see confirmation bias). An example would be many figures in muslim nations denying the holocaust (or the extent of the holocaust) because of their wider opposition to Israel. A Christian fundamentalist denying evolution because it contradicts their literal interpretation of the bible. A cigarette company denying the harmful effects of tobacco because there's a profit to be made. Large companies denying the effects of global warming for fears of the effects of legislation on their industry.

The second possibility is that the people in the first group have "educated" people to believe a particular version of the truth, and someone has simply not done much research into it themselves.
  • Options
    Theres a boy I know, let's call him "Ben" Now, "Ben" worships Hitler. He is absolutly in love with him, well not like love but he is in awe of him. "Ben" calls himself a Nazi, and he agrees with the concentration camps ect ect ect. He even died his hair blonde and wears blue contact lenses so he'd be accepted. "Ben" is 14. It's just wrong :-(

Anyway, Nick Griffin said he didn't know why he said that. Shows just what a dick he is...
    X
  • Options
    I would like to understand how people think the holocaust never happened.

Which one ?
  • Options
    To my knowledge there are no holocaust deniers on this board, much less in the P&D forum. I'd play devils advocate, go and copy/paste a bunch of stuff from Robert Faurisson, then rant about the plausibility that the holocaust was exaggerated or never happened at all. But I'm busy with school this week.
  • Options
    They tend to get banned quite quickly...
  • Options
    There are people out there who believe the Moon doesn't exist. Or that the Earth is flat.

Quite simply, out of any given population you are always going to have a small percentage who are liable to believing the most absurd rubbish. And they won't listen to reason either. There is nothing to do about it.
  • Options
    Should denying the moon landing be illegal though?
  • Options
    Should denying the moon landing be illegal though?

No. No more so than saying the Earth is flat.

If you think that the Moon landing didn't happen then that's fine. You're just a nutcase.

The central point of the Holocaust is the death of 6 million Jews at the hands of the Third Reich. As far as I'm aware, no-one died during the Moon landings.
  • Options
    No. No more so than saying the Earth is flat.

If you think that the Moon landing didn't happen then that's fine. You're just a nutcase.

The central point of the Holocaust is the death of 6 million Jews at the hands of the Third Reich. As far as I'm aware, no-one died during the Moon landings.
    Are you saying you believe Holocaust denial should be illegal?
  • Options
    Which one ?

the big concentration camps in world war two, such as Auschwitz and Bergen-Belsen.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Are you saying you believe Holocaust denial should be illegal?

Not especially, but I was trying to explain why Holocaust denial is illegal now whereas saying that the Earth is flat or the Moon landing was faked isn't.
  • Options
    It's freedom of expression. You can't put validation on it, as that's exactly what takes us down the slippery slope of banning certain beliefs. Whether no person died or millions should not matter. when it comes to someone believing if it actually happened or not.
  • Options
    the big concentration camps in world war two, such as Auschwitz and Bergen-Belsen.

Thanks for the clarification.

The term as a reference for the events to which you refer is relatively recent. (Around 50 years).
  • Options
    Why would anyone deny anything that's blatantly a fact? The first reason is that they've got an agenda that makes them flat out deny the evidence, or only favour evidence that supports their pre-existing opinion (see confirmation bias). An example would be many figures in muslim nations denying the holocaust (or the extent of the holocaust) because of their wider opposition to Israel. A Christian fundamentalist denying evolution because it contradicts their literal interpretation of the bible. A cigarette company denying the harmful effects of tobacco because there's a profit to be made. Large companies denying the effects of global warming for fears of the effects of legislation on their industry.

The second possibility is that the people in the first group have "educated" people to believe a particular version of the truth, and someone has simply not done much research into it themselves.

Would you say Moshe Aryeh Friedman "suffers" from confirmation bias ?
  • Options
    Would you say Moshe Aryeh Friedman "suffers" from confirmation bias ?

I'm pretty sure everyone does to some extent. Some more than others, obviously.

But the fact that so many of these holocaust deniers also happen to oppose the existance of Israel should tell you everything you need to know about their motives.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure everyone does to some extent. Some more than others, obviously.

But the fact that so many of these holocaust deniers also happen to oppose the existance of Israel should tell you everything you need to know about their motives.

Perhaps, but that could be turned on itself and the question of whether Israel would have come into existence as a state without a holocaust event.
  • Options
    Perhaps, but that could be turned on itself and the question of whether Israel would have come into existence as a state without a holocaust event.
    Well since the Zionist movement predates the holocaust by some decades, I don't think there's an obvious link between the two. Obviously WW2 speeded up the rate at which Jewish people moved to Israel, although the extent of the holocaust itself wouldn't have been known about until the end of the war.
  • Options
    It's freedom of expression. You can't put validation on it, as that's exactly what takes us down the slippery slope of banning certain beliefs. Whether no person died or millions should not matter. when it comes to someone believing if it actually happened or not.

I know it is and for what it's worth, I actually agree with you.

However, all I was getting at is to hazard an explanation as to why things are how they are.

Freedom of expression is all well and good but tact and sensitivity also play a role, especially when it comes to something like the Holocaust. You never know who within earshot has a relative with first hand experience of it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Questioning the official version of events as in regards to the Holocaust is perfectly legitimate. It's only because of people asking awkward questions that we know the true extent of how many millions were killed during the Holocaust - the ways people were gassed to death, the way people were lined up and shot as their bodies fell one by one into giant open graves, etc etc.

I disagree with you there. Even historical revisionists would come up against claims of holocaust denial and subject to social and professional prejudices if they wanted to look into the holocaust. It's one of those taboo areas really. Best left alone. That's not to say it might not have happened - the evidence is irrefutable. However, it's not really an area that can be critically examined so much, which is why for some people they go to the other end of the extreme and say it's obviously made up.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »

I disagree with you there. Even historical revisionists would come up against claims of holocaust denial and subject to social and professional prejudices if they wanted to look into the holocaust. It's one of those taboo areas really. Best left alone. That's not to say it might not have happened - the evidence is irrefutable. However, it's not really an area that can be critically examined so much, which is why for some people they go to the other end of the extreme and say it's obviously made up.

Consider that we don't have the same reservations about other human catastrophes. Asking critical questions about them isn't just acceptable, but in some circles and circumstances actually really important to ensure that they are 100% credible and verifiable. This will occur with many things including even the simple laws of physics. Every single angle will be attacked to ensure it is watertight.

If a person asks "Has the holocaust been manipulated for political gain?" that question is not expected to be answered, because that person asking a question - is then labelled a holocaust denier.

Hence, without the proper freedom to question the holocaust (which is a crime in some countries), for a lot of people it gives an opportunity to go further and actually deny the holocaust.