Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I'm confused

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My girlfriend has been having a really hard time lately... between foster homes and court. I recently found out that she has resorted to smoking pot as a way to cope with everything. At first i tried to help her cope befor she got to the point where she felt like she needed to smoke. But now she just keeps doing it and her foster parents won't let her talk with me. The couple times that i have seen her in the past week i have told her that i won't be with her if she continues to smoke. I feel like this has only made her worse. I really love her and i know she loves me. I really don't know how i could help her anymore if i'm not allowed to even talk to her... It has gotten really frustrating cause it seems like everyone in our lives are trying to keep us apart. Basically what i'm trying to ask for is any suggestions on how i could help her... Or even if i should be trying to help her. :confused:

Comments

• Options
    There are worse things she could be doing than smoking weed. If it bothers you that much ask her to cut down, but don't ask her to stop, you don't own her, she is her own person.

Sounds like you may need to talk to her foster parents about why they won't let you talk to her, and when you do get to talk to her, don't pressure her, just make sure she knows you're there for her if she wants to talk.
  • Options
    How old are you both? Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but if she's in foster care then I'm guessing she's pretty young (under 18, right?) and she's already in a system with people working to help and support her. if thats the case there's not much you can do other than just be there when she needs some emotional support, a friend or a shoulder to cry on.

Oh, and NOT issuing ultimatums that just add more pressure and make her feel worse about herself would probably help too.