Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

what to do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey everybody, this is my first post here but it looks like a site full of helpful people so I'd really appreciate all advice!

I'm 22 and have been going out with my gf for about 2 years. I'm English, she's from Shanghai. I was attracted to her from the start because she's really good-looking (obviously!), very kind and I admired her for having the guts to go to a foreign country alone and for the fact that she's stuck it out and has got English learned fluently! She's my first serious gf and everything was great. We bonded more when my grandad died and she really supported me as we'd been close so that was hard for me. However, when we started going out we were actually housemates as she moved into my student house when my friend moved out (she didn't realise it was an all-male house of 3:1). Then when it got towards the end of the year there were a few arguments this way and that about whether we should move in together. At first I was all for it but she wasn't sure, then over some period we swapped!!! So for the last year we lived 5 mins from each other, although she stayed at mine a lot. Now though, since I couldn't get a job in the city of my uni I had to move back home to save £ which is 3hours away.

So now she wants us to live together but I'm not sure because when she stayed with me last year we had LOADS of arguments, especially during my exams which made me VERY stressed and aggravated an illness I suffered from so I was simply relieved when I passed my exams. I'm worried this will happen again. The bottom line is, I'm no longer sure we're compatible, since I try talking to her about stuff that I feel is important and she has rigid views which conflict with my own, on top of that she's 3 years older than me and is always fretting about having to leave the country unless we move in together (so she can get a 'girlfriend visa') or we marry, on top of THAT all I really want to do in the near future is save £ and go travelling alone around the world cos I want to develop as a person and I think I need to challenge myself to do that. She says she doesnt want to get married but she worries I dont love her because Im reluctant to move in with her and because on the phone we never have anything to talk about! Our interests are totally different and though I dont think this mattered in the beginning because I simply thought she was a great person, now I don't look up to her the way I did and I really think she's wrong on key issues.

I think I loved her for the first year or so, but since I found out we differ on key things, I'm no longer sure. Plus it'd be major hassle to go travelling with her since she sould have loads of visa issues and I really want to do it alone. Now I think I should break up with her, but she loves me and I'm kind of scared I'll never meet anyone else who will love me. What is she is the one for me and I'm just too immature to realise it? Please help!

Comments

• Options
    I am no expert on relationships.....Heck I am still trying to figure my own out...LOL

But I would say you need to be honest with her, best to find out before marriage if she is not the one you love. Follow your gut insticts.
  • Options
    You're only 22, there's plenty of time for you to fall in love several times, lol!

Don't waste your life, or your girlfriend's, on a relationship you're not 100% invested in -if you're not in love with her now and already having issues with your differences, its only going to get worse. Be honest with her so that you can both move on.