Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

a dsl/ethernet cable?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, i am online via plusnet, on the back of there reuter has a power socket, a ethernet socket and a dsl socket.

On this pc im on now it has the ethernet socket on the back of the pc, so the dsl lead goes from reuter into the wall and the ethernet cable goes into the p.c

I got another computer given to me thats better than this one but the socket on the back isnt a ethernet socket only a dsl socket, so my question is could i get a lead with two differant ends on it so i could plug the ethernet end into the reuter and the dsl end into the p.c to get online?

This is an example reuter http://www.usr.com/support/8550/8550-ug/two.html

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    DSL always goes to the microfilter and then eventually into the phone line.

Ethernet always goes to the PC via an ethernet cable.

the 'DSL' socket on your Computer that you talk about is more than likely a bog standard Phone port...

Any computer made within the last 5 to 7 years or so will have an ethernet socket on it.. >_<
    Most computers have had ethernet cards since about 1990 :|
    yeahwalk wrote: »

well yeah, i still remember those horrid little PC Card network cards though! :(
    yeahwalk wrote: »

Nah, there were plenty of machines made up to - and beyond - 2000 that didn't come with ethernet as standard.
    My mobo has 2 ethernet ports. Stitch that Jimmy :-D
    Monserrat wrote: »
    My mobo has 2 ethernet ports. Stitch that Jimmy :-D

My HP has 2 ethernet and 2 firewire and about 15 USB ports lol :P
    noog wrote: »
    DSL always goes to the microfilter and then eventually into the phone line.

Ethernet always goes to the PC via an ethernet cable.

the 'DSL' socket on your Computer that you talk about is more than likely a bog standard Phone port...

Any computer made within the last 5 to 7 years or so will have an ethernet socket on it.. >_<

I dont have to use the microfilter cos i got a dsl socket in my wall in the bedroom so i plug it straight in, i dont have the ethernet socket on the other pc i want to use though :(

the socket on that pc is the same at the dsl socket cos that lead fits in there perfect.

So does anyone know if its possible to get a lead with two differant ends then?

If not... how hard is it to put a ethernet socket on a pc?

Thanks again peeps

Love and Hugs x
    bettyboo wrote: »
    I dont have to use the microfilter cos i got a dsl socket in my wall in the bedroom so i plug it straight in, i dont have the ethernet socket on the other pc i want to use though :(

the socket on that pc is the same at the dsl socket cos that lead fits in there perfect.

So does anyone know if its possible to get a lead with two differant ends then?

If not... how hard is it to put a ethernet socket on a pc?

Thanks again peeps

Love and Hugs x

Ah, ok.. The filter will be built in behind the wallplate then where the DSL is marked out.

The socket on the PC may well be identical to the DSL socket, but that's 'cos they're both RJ11 telephone connections, their purpose is different though.. The one on your pc will be for dialup, the one on the router will be for broadband..

Anyway, If it's a desktop computer your best bet is to buy a 'PCI Network card' You can get them in places like maplin / pc world. It involves taking the side off the tower and inserting it. If you dont feel up to this you can buy a USB Ethernet adaptor (Assuming the "new" computer has USB)

If it's a laptop then you can buy a PCMCIA Network adaptor (or again a USB one)
    Is an Ethernet Cable different from a standard internet cable? Lol, im not sure if an ethernet cable is a standard internet cable or if they are 2 different things. I need it for Xbox Live, and i just used a cable from my house and plugged it in and it doesn't work, so im wondering if its cuz its not a ethernet cable?
    Btw, in this country, we say ADSL, A = assymetric. The United States DSL lines are the same (larger download, smaller upload), but for some reason, they drop the A.
    asymmetric, or asynchronous? either way, ADSL and SDSL are both subsets of a Digital Subscriber Line.
    It's asymmetric, because the upload rate is always different/lower than the download rate. Symmetrical DSL would have the same upload rate as download rate.