Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Problems connecting to the internet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For weeks now we've had problems accessing the internet from 8pm, sometimes 7pm.

If we are online we get chucked off and then find it very difficult to get back on, it will say there is a problem and ask if we want to diagnose and when we select yes it says it couldn't find a problem. After several attempts we get online for about a minute if we're lucky then we get chucked off again and repeat the whole process. This happens most nights.

We're with O2 on the unlimited package, they have said it is just because the internet is busiest at that time but it is weird how it is 8pm or 7pm on the dot, and it is obvious that others can access at this time.

Any ideas what the problem could be? My hubby isn't best pleased and is talking about cancelling the contract and going elsewhere but I'm concerned that it will continue to happen as it might not be 02's fault?

Comments

• Options
    well, if it is 7 or 8pm on the dot then i think it is unlikey that is just an intermitent fault, it sounds like the quotas and throttling their doing in the peak hours to ensure service for all users is affecting you connection particulary badly and cutting it off. i would definately insist they investigate it, and i would move to another provider if they couldn't give you an answer on why this happens.
  • Options
    It'll be your provider cutting you off. I had this before, past 10PM the speeds would plumit then the net would go off every night. (But with Virgin). You can also check the hardware, however you connect. Ask for a replacement because it's a problem that is happening all the time. I'm still going to say it's O2.

This is the problem when companies offer and REALLY advertise the hell out of unlimited plans, they can't support it so they resort to this, limiting connections and bandwidth after certain hours of the day.
  • Options
    What kind of internet connection does O2 provide? If it's fixed-line (cable/ADSL), then you might wanna check your router settings. I've known 1 or 2 people to restrict certain IP addresses when the clock strikes a certain hour. I think it's under QoS (quality of service).
  • Options
    It didn't happen tonight hurrah!

Spoke to o2 again yesterday and AT LAST they have admitted they are at fault, not entirely sure what they said it was as my hubby dealt with them (he said it's something to do with the upgrades they have been doing in this area or something) and they have asked that we give them until the end of the month to sort it.
  • Options
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    It didn't happen tonight hurrah!

Spoke to o2 again yesterday and AT LAST they have admitted they are at fault, not entirely sure what they said it was as my hubby dealt with them (he said it's something to do with the upgrades they have been doing in this area or something) and they have asked that we give them until the end of the month to sort it.

Hmm it could be physical fault triggered intermittently by demanding conditions. Or they've targetted your connection in their QoS rules for some reason :p