Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Secret Millionaire

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
...on channel 4 is in my home town of Warrington!

God it actully makes it look really bad! Hope he gives the money to worthy causes, there are lot's here that could do with the help :yes:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    ha, im watching it too.

ive just recently moved to warrington. i live in a nice part though :)

i had never heard of this place in warrington until tonight.

this program annoys me. every town/city/etc has a bad part.
  • Options
    It's the same with every episode of this show. they only show the bad bit s and people watching don't realise that the area has nice bits too.
  • Options
    ha, im watching it too.

ive just recently moved to warrington. i live in a nice part though :)

i had never heard of this place in warrington until tonight.

this program annoys me. every town/city/etc has a bad part.

Longford...it's near the retail park on Winwick road if you know where that is? Theres Longford and Orford which are right next to each other and Bewsey which is where the hospital is. Just never go through Longford at night ;)

I live right in town so not in too bad an area :yes:

But it's made me want to volunteer a little bit more now after seeing it :)
  • Options
    Bringing the slum part of any town to the public eye is a good thing, ok not for tourism haha but its an eye opener to realise that there are people in the UK in the year 2009 still living in such poverty.
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Longford...it's near the retail park on Winwick road if you know where that is? Theres Longford and Orford which are right next to each other and Bewsey which is where the hospital is. Just never go through Longford at night ;)

I live right in town so not in too bad an area :yes:

But it's made me want to volunteer a little bit more now after seeing it :)

ahhhh, i know where orford is. accidently drove through it once :yuck: never again! it looks well rough!
  • Options
    ahhhh, i know where orford is. accidently drove through it once :yuck: never again! it looks well rough!

Ha ha it's not that bad, my friend lives there and some of it's alright :)

I think though they could have shown some of the nicer areas on the programme they didn't even show the town centre or anything.

Has made me seriously consider volunteering though :yes:
  • Options
    yeaah orford isnt all bad, my sister used to live there and her street was lovely.

i looove the secret millionaire, i missed it this week though.
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Ha ha it's not that bad, my friend lives there and some of it's alright :)

I think though they could have shown some of the nicer areas on the programme they didn't even show the town centre or anything.

Has made me seriously consider volunteering though :yes:

ha, i have only driven through it once so im probably jumping to conclusions :p

yeah, theres loads of nice places in warrington. stockton heath. grappenhall. i live in a really nice area too :)
  • Options

yeah, theres loads of nice places in warrington. stockton heath. grappenhall. i live in a really nice area too :)

good for you :p
  • Options
    Dont watch it much but when i do Secret Millionaire always makes me cry. Happy tears of course.
  • Options
    My town was on it a while back. It was the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen. They stayed in a single tiny section of the town with a load of old industrial flats (the majority of which are ironically now luxury flats, they just look old from the outside). There were even sections where they showed a building on one side of the street that would've had to have been shot from the nicely developed part on the other side of the street. But naturally they didn't show that. One of the people that appeared on the show appeared in the local paper the day afterwards saying that he was going to return the money because of the ridiculous portrayal of the town and his situation.

I know this sounds like an "OMG TV isn't real?" type of post, but it always brings it home to you when you watch or read a media report of something you know really well. I remember reading a story about how my sister struggled through a "life-threatening illness" to get her black belt. She had appendicitis and was in hostpital for a few days about 6 months previously. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    good for you :p

haha, thanks :p i wasn't saying it in a snobby way! i've lived in right scummy places in the past. i was just pointing out that there are nice places in warrington as the show made out like warrington was a shit hole.