Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Guitar question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well,I recently decided to just put on my Appetite for Destruction album and just play along to see what I can pick up.Is this a good way to learn by ear as to be honest Im finding it quite hard.Is there a decent free (for now) slow downer I can use?
Ive got my guitar all tuned up right to Eb too.But if I put on a different cd thats in standard tuning does it really make a difference if I keep my guitar in Eb,as in to how my ear will pick things up?

Also,how on earth do you get a decent rock type sound out of a Line6 spider 3 amp?!
Its either proper full on Metallica or some crappy dry,overly fat crunch type sound thats a really crappy rip off of Led Zep.
Ive got 2 pedals,a behringer Overdrive/distortion and a metal muff pedal.I tried them because I want to swap between a clean sound to crunch,but they are absolute shite too.
Can anyone help?

Comments

• Options
    Heyya,
    well- when you start to play/learn don't use an amp. It's a lot easier with out, I found. Also, might just be me, but I found it a whole lot easier to listen to part of a track, pause it, then try and figure that little bit out. If you can figure out what key the song is in first, it's kinda easy :-)

Also, I am pretty shit at just playing by ear (because I started to learn classical music on flute at the age of 6) so I find it LOADS easier to read TAB.

You could buy yourself a chord book, just so you know what your playing. Having said that though, my dad can't read any music and he is amazing at guiter.
    Oh... and don't diss led zep :thumb:
    X
  • Options
    I learn by watching. Go on YouTube or something.

On my amp i have like high low middle and another dial. Also switches with USA, British ect on it. Do you have that type of thing?

If I want to try and play by ear I learn better with the music sheets infront of me so I pick up the notes quicker.
  • Options
    B-A - I don't think he was ;). I think he was dissing his amp :p.
  • Options
    Ive learnt loads of stuff by amp but whenever you read an interview with a gret guitarist the common thread is they all started to learn by ear and work things out by listening to it.
    Thats where I want to get to,being able to listen to a song I like and figure it out by just listening to it.Its musicality I want to develop in myself.

How can you figure out what key a song is in?How would I start to do that?
    I think Welcome to the Jungle is in E,Nightrain is A and Paradise City possibly G?

And yeah,Franki is right.Im not dissing the Zep.I love them.:thumb:
    My amp is pretty shit for getting a decent rock sound though thats what I was dissing,its either clean or heavy metal,seems to be no inbetween.
  • Options
    I was told to work out th key like this: ( my explaining won't be good haha)

you can start with either the standard chord. Like E or A.
    Then go do the barr chord so finger on first fret. still E or whatever chord shape.
    Then go down the frets like that so it would go F#, E, E# (or however it goes lol)
    and then you stop when you get the right key and play it there.
  • Options
    Good, no dissing of the zebbady ((lolz)) X

Errmmm god, see, I can just kinda tell what key something is in. Been playing music since I was 4/5 soo it has just become second nature I guess! Also, when you read music it is in the key signeture (spelling?)

Sure this'll help: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_forum/index.php?showtopic=3160
    Xx
  • Options
    Yeah I've been playing guitar for like 4 years and I'm getting better at picking music up by ear, it takes time.
  • Options
    Yeah I've been playing guitar for like 4 years and I'm getting better at picking music up by ear, it takes time.

See, I can't do that very well with anything! I could tell you notes and stuff, but not chords. I salute people who can just play by ear. As I said, I have to sit for ages on the same riff figuring it out :( my 2nd cousin can just start playing along. it's amazing! and sort of scary!

I think if you learn to read music to start with, it gets harder to do theory and playing by ear.
    X
  • Options
    Yeah I had a guitar teacher and you gave him a song you wanted to play and he could work it out and play along in five minutes. And from watching hIm for like 3 years I've picked up some of his technques.

But if someone handed me sheet music I couldn't tell you a thing. I can read tab and play along with a song easily though
  • Options
    I can't play A on a guitar- or a A sharp. So I always have to change the key if there are A's and stuff :-p
    X
  • Options
    Oh if you are playing by ear listen to the bass.
  • Options
    i'm beginning to play bass and i find it easier to play along with a backing track or drum beat than to play along to a metronome.
  • Options
    The Leaf wrote: »
    Well,I recently decided to just put on my Appetite for Destruction album and just play along to see what I can pick up.Is this a good way to learn by ear as to be honest Im finding it quite hard.Is there a decent free (for now) slow downer I can use?
    Ive got my guitar all tuned up right to Eb too.But if I put on a different cd thats in standard tuning does it really make a difference if I keep my guitar in Eb,as in to how my ear will pick things up?

Also,how on earth do you get a decent rock type sound out of a Line6 spider 3 amp?!
    Its either proper full on Metallica or some crappy dry,overly fat crunch type sound thats a really crappy rip off of Led Zep.
    Ive got 2 pedals,a behringer Overdrive/distortion and a metal muff pedal.I tried them because I want to swap between a clean sound to crunch,but they are absolute shite too.
    Can anyone help?

Not sure what Izzy plays on AfD but Slash plays a Les Paul through a Boss Turbo Distortion through a Marshall JCM800 and accompanying 4x12s. Fucking awesome amp but to be honest, with some experimentation, you can get a sound that's as good as the real thing with some patience ["all we need is just a little patience..."]

Best bet is to turn up the reverb on the amp if you have it. Not familiar with the Line 6 apart from their recording stuff (which I own and recommend). Basically it's a case of pissing about with the dials on your pedal until you find something you like.

For the "Slash" sound I would advocate putting the gain up to about 3/4 o clock, but not too much so you get the Metallica sound. If it's sounding too crunchy, leave the amp on clean and try to shape the sound with the distortion pedal. I personally always find that the easier way. Remember to load the treble and mid section (but partly because Slash's Les Paul has a very bass-heavy pickup configuration) and put the reverb on.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Cheers thunderstruck.That part about the clean channel and the pedal is what Im doing now and am getting a half decent sound at last.
    I want to get a good clear ringing on the neck pickup though as it seems to be quite "fat" and thick if you get what I mean.:confused:

Also,do you know much about ear training?
    As Ive said Ive got my guitar tuned to E flat (for Guns) but I have a load of guitar books that are done in standard tuning.
    Is it best to keep my guitar in standard to start learning things by ear?