Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tricky jobseekers situation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Used to be on here years ago under a different name and have forgotten my old log in details, so "hello" again. This site re-entered my thoughts today whilst pondering over my current situation and looking for help from someone in the know.

Have been out of regular work since April, am currently on Jobseekers Allowance and have had trouble getting interviews. Today I got two call-backs from some quite ancient applications (applied over a month ago for both), meaning I have an interview this week and one in two weeks.

Both jobs are quite different (one retail, one admin), and I am unsure which I would prefer. My main worry is that if I am successful in this week's interview, should I tell them about the one in two weeks? The one in two weeks is for a better paid position, but if they hadn't contacted me then I would have jumped at the chance to take the job I am being interviewed for this week.

I am also aware that if I in any way turned down a job offer then the Jobcentre wouldn't look upon it too favorably and I would be in breach of the terms of my Jobseekers Allowance.

The second interview is with a public sector organization and their HR recruitment processes are rather slow-moving from previous experience. I have no idea how many other people are shortlisted and whether I will find that I am suited to the position. However, it seems very similar to my previous job.

Have had contrasting opinions from friends and family, some say honesty is the best policy whilst others have recommended that I accept the first job if offered and then attend the second interview anyway, which does feel quite strongly like I'm letting them down if I suddenly left them in the lurch having accepted the job only a couple of weeks previously.

Thoughts from anyone, particularly people who work in HR or have been in a similar position, are more than welcome.

I hope it was clear at least on the third read. Such is my luck, I'll probably fail dismally at both interviews now and it won't be a problem.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had a double-interview situation in 2003. For me, it was easier because both interviews were in the same week. For job #1, they told me pretty quickly that I've been offered a job. I told them that I need to wait a few days to hear the results of job #2, which I did, as the difference was only by a few days. In the end, it turned out that I have failed job #2 and I started employment with job #1.

With you Patwi, you have a 2-week gap between job #1 & #2. If you hear fairly soon after the first interview that you've got it, I'd go with job #1 as the 2-week gap may otherwise be too long a wait for them. If you fail job #1, then of course, hang in there and see what becomes of job #2.

Sadly, I lost my job 2 weeks ago, so I'll no doubt be enjoying this interview shiznit once again!
    Thanks for the reply.

I am swaying more towards accepting the first job if offered to me, think I will tell them about the interview in two weeks when I speak to them if they ask. I shouldn't really be too picky, need the money with people already talking about those couple of weeks at the end of December.

Good luck in your job hunting, think the job market's picking up a bit now.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Being in a similar situation I'd take the first job if you get it. Better to turn the second one down rather than end up with no job at all!
    Yeah, on that basis, i'd take the first.

However... I'm on Jobseekers at the moment, and at my last meeting I definitely didn't tell them that I'd had an interview a couple of days previously, walked out of the office, called up the recruitment company and told them that there was absolutely no way I was working there.

Sometimes honesty isn't always the best policy ;)