Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to stop heat escaping?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In my room, the radiator is directly under the window, which is double glazed. The curtains arent very thick and in the mornings light comes in underneath them. Is there anything I can do to stop heat escaping up from the radiator and underneath the curtain to the window? Theyre not long enough to tuck behind the radiator which is what i do at home, theres about a 6 inch gap between them. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Attach a silver foil sheet thing behind the radiator. You can buy it from most DIY stores. It stops a lot of the heat escaping out the wall by reflecting it back into the room.
  • Options
    Dunelm do insulated black out blinds, not sure how well it would work though
  • Options
    Trouble is i'm in a rented house so i cant change the curtains or anything. I was thinkin of attaching something to the bottom of the curtains so i can drape them behind the radiator... hmm i dunno really.

Also, since we all moved in about a month ago we havent had a gas or electricity bill through yet so i dont know how much it costs but how high is reasonable to have the radiator on?