Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

wiping a laptop...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey guys,
I wanna basically restart my whole laptop, for reasons of my own (nothing illegal on it) but basically its just become a pain to run so i wanna restart it, new progammes, posssibly new operating system

The main thing i wanna know is how to do it? I know i need the recovry CD (i think) but say i want to put windows back on it would i have to have a windows XP or what ever cd to instal it or would i be able to use the recovery CD?

Thnx guys
CUrly_Boy

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The recovery disc should restore everything software-wise to how it was when you first got the computer. Including the OS...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    try restarting with the recovery cd in the drive and see what options it gives you
    If it's an Acer, then press ALT+F10 during the POST checks to begin D2D recovery from the hidden partition.
    You can use the recovery disk, but those are usually bloated anyway. I'd start with a fresh, OEM retail version of the OS instead. Will work with your OEM key but wont be branded by any OEM.

You can download them from many places, this isn't illegal - the only thing illegal about it is if you use an illegal key. But you can change that after you have installed the OS. That's what I do. Just make sure you can trust the OS disk, make sure it is untouched. (There are too many "custom" versions floating about)

Failing that, you can download Windows 7 from Microsoft, buy a key, sorted. That way you know you can trust it.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I agree with the above actually, that's what I've done with mine.
    But before doing that, make sure there's a full set of drivers for your computer available, preferably from the vendor's website. If there aren't you might be able to find them from the individual sites of the vendors of each hardware component, but then they wouldn't be 100% guaranteed to work.