Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Boxing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Does boxing really annoy anyone else :banghead:

I think it's pathetic, I'm just watching What Katie Did Next and it showed her cage fighter boyfriend winning a fight and now she's going on about how proud she is etc right infront of her son Junior. It angers me! :banghead:

We've got a boxing night at work on Thursday and loads of people are going, it's £25 a ticket with a small meal included and they are saying that it's a good price as it's the boxing they are paying to see, it's really entertaining and worth the money. They think I'm a prude for not going, I fail to understand why anyone would want to go? It really does annoy me :banghead: They go every year, and every year I say I don't want to go, and every year they go on about what outfits they will wear to the boxing etc, I just don't get it!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    no you're not the only one i absolutely HATE boxing and i think cage fighting is an even worse sport. whenever boxing is on the tv i always turn it over straight away. i just dont get how what i basically see as violence can be entertaining :/ also when they get hurt and like practically knocked out it makes me feel sick! horrible.
    meh, never really given any thought to boxing, i only like my violence in films, so it really hasn't interested me, i don't understand the appeal :/
    Boxing is an interesting sport. It requires a great deal of conditioning and technique. I don't go out of my way to follow the sport but I'll definitely watch it if there's a fight on.
    I've never really thought about it. I mean i used to do Karate and i know its slightly different but i've had split lips, bruised gums, teeth out (luckily a baby tooth :D), kicked in the head....

(hah thats makes me sound bad lol)

But my point is it does (like any fighting sport) need a hell of a lot of skill - reading your opponent, stamina, and so on. It isn't just a couple of guys hitting each other for the fun of it becasue they can. I've never really watched it, but yeah what i have seen is a bit brutal for my liking, i wouldn't say it was pathetic though.
    :)
    brilliant sport!

was down watchin the local amateur finals there on friday, great craic, cant beat the atmosphere!
    Not my cup of tea. I really don't enjoy stuff that include hitting me in the head. Or watch people hit others in the head.

I used to do TKD and loved everything except the part where it was okay to kick or punch me in the head.
    Boxing, its human chess. The sport isn't just about trying to knock your opponent out. Points are given for attacking and defence. These guys are true athletes and its only at a professional level they don't have headgear. At an amateur level every fighter needs to wear headgear.

Cage fighting is very different to boxing. They are not the same.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Apart from football, best sport in the world.

Boxers are some of the best all round atheletes in the world. I used to get down the local club as a teenager, loved every minute of it.
    Weekender Offender 
    I used to live around the corner from Brendan Ingle and Naz's parents' corner shop ;)

I don't see why anyone would say it's "pathetic", as others have said boxing is a technically demanding and skilled sport. Fighters and martial artists choose to do it, it's not like someone being beat up in the street.

That said, I know a couple of cage fighters who are cocky twats! But still good to watch the sport.
    im not saying its a pathetic sport or that boxers dont have to be skilled, or great athletes. i just think that sport based on violence and people hitting each other isnt a very good one, it makes me feel sick but clearly lots of other people like it :]
    It's just pointless, isn't it? Hitting someone for money... hhmmm... something slightly wrong their don't you think?

I have done martial arts ect. but I'd never consider it a job, and I definatly wouldn't talk about how proud I was with my kids (if I have any)
    X
    im not saying its a pathetic sport or that boxers dont have to be skilled, or great athletes. i just think that sport based on violence and people hitting each other isnt a very good one, it makes me feel sick but clearly lots of other people like it :]

Uh... have you heard of rugby, or (American) football, or any other contact sport in the world? Hitting people as sport is not exclusive to boxing nor is it an indication of a lack of quality or tradition.
    It's just pointless, isn't it? Hitting someone for money... hhmmm... something slightly wrong their don't you think?

I have done martial arts ect. but I'd never consider it a job, and I definatly wouldn't talk about how proud I was with my kids (if I have any)
    X

You're hitting someone as a sport, you're being paid as a professional athlete. This isn't some sort of job where you do shake-downs for the local loan shark. If you've got problems with people being paid to be athletes that's another issue...
    Uh... have you heard of rugby, or (American) football, or any other contact sport in the world? Hitting people as sport is not exclusive to boxing nor is it an indication of a lack of quality or tradition.

Yeah, but rugby isn't just hitting people.
    There is, quite obviously, more to it than that. Considering the whole ball and more than two people thing...Oh, and the huge field.
    X

well i dont know very much about sports :] but the aim of boxing is to knock each other out right? (correct me if im wrong!). i know rugby can be pretty gruesome with the massive tackling each other, my friend plays rugby and he is huge but hes aaaalways injured, but they're tackling each other to get the ball right? not just to injure each other.
    Yeah, but rugby isn't just hitting people.
    There is, quite obviously, more to it than that. Considering the whole ball and more than two people thing...Oh, and the huge field.
    X

If your objection to boxing is that the object of the game is using violence to beat your opponent then the principle remains the same.
    I like boxing, it's fun to watch. But it is wrong, and immoral. And I would never premote it to my children.

I don't like rugby much though.. I'm a football person really :-)
    X
    well i dont know very much about sports :] but the aim of boxing is to knock each other out right? (correct me if im wrong!). i know rugby can be pretty gruesome with the massive tackling each other, my friend plays rugby and he is huge but hes aaaalways injured, but they're tackling each other to get the ball right? not just to injure each other.

(keep in mind I'm not an expert when it comes to boxing but...)
    Matches in boxing can be won through knock outs, technical knock outs (where one person might not be unconscious but the ref determines that it would be unsafe to proceed), or through a vote of the judges at the end of the match based on various skill categories.

The difference is how you score in the two sports. In rugby you score by moving the ball into the try-zone. In boxing you score by landing using technique to land calculated blows.
    I like boxing, it's fun to watch. But it is wrong, and immoral.
    I fail to see how it is immoral.
    I fail to see how it is immoral.

Well, isn't one of the main rules in society, and what most people are raised to believe... Do not hurt anybody else.

therefore, watching two people hurt one another, and then those two people being payed seems immoral to me.

Anyway, Yeah I like boxing. But it is wrong.
    X
    I like boxing, it's fun to watch. But it is wrong, and immoral. And I would never premote it to my children.

I don't like rugby much though.. I'm a football person really :-)
    X
    How the hell is boxing immoral?! After the things you've said previously about going around in gangs beating people up, I find that slighty rich. Boxing is a sport where two consenting athletes battle to win, during which physical injury may or may not happen (not everyone gets knocked out). No different to rugby, ice hockey or any other physical sport in that respect.
    Well, isn't one of the main rules in society, and what most people are raised to believe... Do not hurt anybody else.

therefore, watching two people hurt one another, and then those two people being payed seems immoral to me.

I'll call your attention again to the fact that there are hundreds of other sports out there where doing violence towards other people is the key element to the game. If you're basis of morality is to not hurt other people (even in the context of consenting competition) then all of those other sports are similarly immoral.
    How the hell is boxing immoral?! After the things you've said previously about going around in gangs beating people up, I find that slighty rich.

I wondered how long it would take for that to come up, but right now I don't want to talk about that.

I will say this though:

Boxing is a sport, yes. But if hurting others is wrong than why should we watch it?
    X
    I'll call your attention again to the fact that there are hundreds of other sports out there where doing violence towards other people is the key element to the game. If you're basis of morality is to not hurt other people (even in the context of consenting competition) then all of those other sports are similarly immoral.
    Likewise play fighting. Or how about someone doing piercings and tattoos, are they immoral too?

:yes: I agree. I think sports like that are just wrong really, but I do enjoy them.
    X
    Boxing is a sport, yes. But if hurting others is wrong than why should we watch it?
    X
    It's only wrong to hurt someone if they don't want you to.
    It's only wrong to hurt someone if they don't want you to.

So, why do you bring up the fights I've had then? Most fights are a two way thing, are they not?

In fact, take this as an example: The other day a group of year 11's and a group of year 8's had a huge fight. Most the year 8's got hurt. They all took part willingly in the fight, but it was still wrong in the minds of most.
    X
    So, why do you bring up the fights I've had then? Most fights are a two way thing, are they not?
    I didn't bring up the fights you've had, I brought up when you said you wanted to get a gang and beat up someone. That isn't a fight.
    I didn't bring up the fights you've had, I brought up when you said you wanted to get a gang and beat up someone. That isn't a fight.

Read the thread you got that from again. I never wanted a gang, love. Anyway! That's all behind me now, and I've moved bands, forms, and classes at school.

X
    never mind...