Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

what would you want in a student handbook?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i am on a mission (with a group of other people) to dramatically change our SU - we are a brilliant uni, but our student satifaction ratings are rock bottom...

so as a start i'm re-creating a student handbook, because currently we don't have one!

this is currently limited to one campus but i'll get the campus reps to change their campus specific info

i have a list of places of worship locally, how to get a student oyster card and an NUS card, a guide to the uni and SU facilities...what else??
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    societies you can join, student media, student advice services, student counselling services, medical services at the uni, how to register at doctors/dentists, bus services, uni/SU job shop, sports teams, what to do if you've got a problem with lecturers/academic stuff, how to find out about plagerism, NUS extra.

have you emailed other SUs and asked for a copy of their handbooks?
  • Options
    i've had a good look at the ones i could access online - our problem is that we have to not include things that are covered by the uni - such as the counciling and advice service, the job shop, and i think the uni nurse is funded by the uni not the SU

too much red tape its beyond stupid...
  • Options
    I'm not a student anymore, but some stuff that might have helped me was to do with sorting out tenancies (for staying after the 1st year). Advice on how to make sure all the bills are paid correctly. I know it should be in the contract, but a bit of advice about their rights as a tenant, and what can be done about repairs and problems with housing when the landlord ignores them.

Another idea would be local information, like reviews on restaurants, bars, clubs etc that aren't just the SU.
  • Options
    anna342 wrote: »
    I'm not a student anymore, but some stuff that might have helped me was to do with sorting out tenancies (for staying after the 1st year). Advice on how to make sure all the bills are paid correctly. I know it should be in the contract, but a bit of advice about their rights as a tenant, and what can be done about repairs and problems with housing when the landlord ignores them.

Another idea would be local information, like reviews on restaurants, bars, clubs etc that aren't just the SU.

Information for people renting would be vital. I'm 25, graduated 3 years ago and am STILL having landlord issues...

The only caveat regarding reviews for restaurants, bars, clubs etc. is that they change so frequently, especially bars and clubs, that it's hard to keep track. Good places turn bad, bad places become good and some shut down all together. When I first received my Bristol student guide, a good half of the places mentioned in there had shut down by my second year.

I think the best way to go is not to patronise students. Granted, some will barely have the requisite knowledge to make a pot noodle, but you should aim at the higher common denominator, not the lowest. Don't assume all students are slightly wacky, crazy folk. Just be light-hearted but in a mature kind of way, if that makes sense. Chances are that if you try to go down the quirky, wacky route, you'll alienate more people than you amuse or inform.
  • Options
    the real question is - what NOT to put in.

everything that you think of, whatever questions you have from time to time, those need answering in such a student handbook.

the only thing that i pray for as a student is the ability to find everything in one place, instead of fishing around in 200 various sites and books to find the thing i need.

ram everything into this book. study advice, uni counsellors, docs & meds, sex, drugs, alcohol, societies/clubs listings, regular activities, uni events, important dates, term dates, exam advice, pub n club locations, maps to city/uni campus, housing issues, contracts, job hunting, landlords, housemates, cleaning, cooking, money, scholarships, student finance.

ALL IN ONE PLACE! CREATE MY BIBLE!