Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Boiler Service

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've lived in my flat for just over two years now, and have never had the boiler serviced. I've been thinking about getting it serviced and have had a look online about annual servicing. The information is so conflicting so I don't really know what to do! It's getting colder now and I will need to start putting the heating on soon so I thought this would be the best time to get it done? But I don't want to spend much, although I want it done properly. What should I do!? I don't know whether to just phone around or whether to join a plan like with British Gas or somewhere, where you pay so much a month and that covers you for boiler breakdown etc as well. Maybe this would include an annual check? Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Most service plans include an anual check, although some of the British Gas ones don't. If the boiler is old it might be worth joining a plan.

I presume you own the flat. If you rent it your landlord should be dealing with the boiler.
  • Options
    I hired a Corgi-registered plumber via word-of-mouth. He gave my boiler a once-over and it came to £58. Although nothing major needed to be done, it was clear to the plumber that I haven't had it serviced before (been here 3 years) neither did the previous owners!

Yeah best bet Fruit Loop is to get a plumber through a recommendation.
  • Options
    I was talking to my mum about this earlier today and she said she will give me the details of a plumber who fitted her boiler last year. I actually bought my flat from a plumber, so I would hope that he maintained it, but he didn't actually live here he rented it out so he might not have.