Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Itchy legs!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so this might sound like a weird problem but lately my shins have been really itchy, but only really in the evenings and when im trying to get to sleep. Its a bit like goosebumps... and wee red spots. It might be ingrown hairs (i shave my legs) or an allergy to something?
Anyway im off to have a scratch :P

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Could it be scabies?
    ha ha.
    Thanks
    Could be from shaving. I get that above my knees, though not itchy. Could also be itchy as it is getting to be that time when things go all dry. Do you moisturize? If not, you could try something unscented and uncolored and uneverything. Or brands like avaeeno and gold bond and johnson&johnson (if you have any of those) have anti-itch body lotions for example http://www.aveeno.com/productDetail.do?prodid=4308
    Hi Pearyclaire :)

Sound's like your itchy legs are a problem for you at the moment, especially when it's happening as you are trying to get to sleep. We would suggest seeing your GP about this. How would you feel about doing that? Or you could perhaps call or search on the NHS Direct website?

Hope the problem gets resolved soon - take care :wave:
    Ok so this might sound like a weird problem but lately my shins have been really itchy, but only really in the evenings and when im trying to get to sleep. Its a bit like goosebumps... and wee red spots. It might be ingrown hairs (i shave my legs) or an allergy to something?
    Anyway im off to have a scratch :P

Shaving Tips: Your legs will love you.

Ther are some of us who still stick to the old fashioned way of shaving: razor and cream. Yes this takes longer but as I have found, for those with tough to impossible hair, it is much simpler in tehe end to just razor it instead of going through the motions of cream and then having to go back over the patches it missed. The critics however are right; using a razor on your legs is a harsher method then those gently exfoliating and conditioning removal creams. However, with these following shaving tips I have found that my legs end up, if not smoother, just as smooth as if I had used that nifty gel instead of my Venus.

First, instead of using the moisturizing shaving cream, baby oil works just as well if not better. It moisturizes your legs while helping to prevent nicks and cuts. It will also make the hair easier to cut which is great if you are using a dull blade. For those of you who like scented soaps, baby oil does come in a variety of scents. In my opinion, the lavender is heavenly, but I digress. It is actually a recommended shaving tip, that you use non-scented baby oil. The lack of scent will reduce the risk of irritation and those pesky skin rashes that come with the territory. This should be the most important shaving tip, as it will be the most luxuriant.

Following that, it is actually better to use a new blade on your skin. That isn’t always possible or we would be going through packages of blades every two weeks or more depending on how fast we grow back. The key is to not overuse your blade. As far as safety and effectiveness is concerned your blade should be tossed out around seven to ten shaves, depending on the coarseness of your hair and how often you shave this could mean a week to a month. This kind of leaves it up for grabs for us and we find ourselves using dull blades that nick us and leave us hurting. That is why I like the blades with the aloe strips.

This would be a personal shaving tip and choice for those of us who use razors. These blades cost a little more but at least give us a definite answer as to when the life of our razor blade is up. You simply pop on a new blade and keep an eye on that strip. When the lifetime is up, the strip will have disappeared. The great thing is that this comes with a plus, that strip of aloe works as an extra moisturizer leaving our skin silky.

In the end when it comes to tips about shaving they are all a matter of personal choice. Some of us are going to find that those hair removal gels and creams are what work for us. While others of us, such as myself, will stick to their fifteen to twenty minute routines with a razor and baby oil, because we can be sure that we are getting the job done. Besides, what is a better excuse for a bubble bath?:thumb: