Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

BNP on radio 1

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/the_p_word/newsid_10000000/newsid_10002000/10002087.stm

one of the guys is this guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Collett

i had the radio on at work and this was on at the time, it was probably one of the least challenging interviews ever, i understand it's for young people but it gave no background to these 2 characters, nor did it particulary challenge their views

i'm not a no-platform person, but if you're gonna put them on radio/tv then explose them for what they are which is bigoted bastards, cause quite frankly, someone's appearance of where they're from hardly affects anything and societies change for better and worse over time, it's just a matter of fact as we're a social creature

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I couldn't help but laugh when I heard this one this afternoon in the car. Nick Griffin was droning on about how the BNP are now a supposedly "respectable" and "electable" party. He effectively admitted the party had been racist in the past, but we're now meant to believe it isn't. He must be taking the same drugs that Gordon Brown is allegedly on if he thinks we'll swallow that line. As for this Mark Adrian Collett, one read of his Wikipedia profile shows him up to be a weapons-grade cunt of the very highest grade.

And if that is the most pressing interview that Debbie Randle from Newsbeat is able to deliver, she deserves to be sacked.
    Wow, that was a really hard-hitting, incisive interview. I'm sure those listening will have been reassured of the fallacy of the BNP claims by such devastating grilling...

:rolleyes:

Oh well. Freedom of speech is paramount, so that's alright. I look forward to the Queen welcoming the BNP to the Palace for tea as well, and for Griffin to stand alongside Brown, Cameron and Clegg to lay flowers at the Cenotaph come November 11th.

Fuck's sake... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    I actually found the fact that it wasn't a particularly hard-hitting interviewer made him sound like even more of an idiot. It was almost like listening to Louis Theroux interview someone. You start from a position of complete innocence and ignorance, and let the fact that the person is an idiot come through by itself. It means he has to lay out his core views for what they are, rather than being able to hide behind the details of particular issues and never mention his core policies. And that means he comes out with ridiculous shit like "we'll bring back the birch" as a solution to crime. Way to know your audience Nick. :rolleyes:
    And that means he comes out with ridiculous shit like "we'll bring back the birch" as a solution to crime. Way to know your audience Nick. :rolleyes:
    Did he actually say that on the radio?!
    Did he actually say that on the radio?!

Yep. And bring back the death penalty.
    Yep. And bring back the death penalty.
    Goodness gracious me, a man went on a national radio station and called for the death penalty to be brought back? Where did I put that phone number for the Thought Police?
    To be fair to the interviewer, the whole point of Radio 1 news is to try and make it more accessible to young people and they have a specific target audience to whom they need to broadcast so I think those calling for her job should lay off her. Anyway, back to the point.

40,000 years ago? What are they on about? The Celts were (most likely) the first 'native' people here, then they were invaded by The Romans....then the Saxons....Then the Normans. If it was discovered that someone was actually had a Roman or a Saxon as their ancestor would that make them 'Not-British'
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Goodness gracious me, a man went on a national radio station and called for the death penalty to be brought back? Where did I put that phone number for the Thought Police?

What are you on about? Where at any point did I hint at him not being allowed to say something? I say he was an imbecile for having such pathetically simplistic solutions to complex social issues, and it just highlights the way idiots like him think. I'd be careful what you say. It's a typical tactic of the BNP to try and equate disagreeing with them and exposing them for the idiots that they are, as actually trying to restrict their freedom of speech, and I wouldn't want you to fall into the same trap. If I accuse someone of racism or idiotic and simplistic arguments, and they refuse to speak out because they don't want to be accused of such things, that's not the thought police, that's self censorship because you care more about what other's think of you than actually exercising your right to free speech. Not my problem. The ability to speak your mind is only one half of free speech. The other half is the freedom of everyone else to think you're a fucking idiot for it.

Anyway, funnier than Nick Griffin are the two young BNP members they got on.

Some choice bits:
    Why is the idea of races mixing such a bad thing?

Joey: If everybody integrated it would take away everybody's identity.

Mark: I would be upset if there were no more giant pandas, I'd be upset if there were no more lions, if there were no more tigers, so equally I'd be upset if white people weren't here any more.

But we're the same species which makes it a bit different, doesn't it?

Mark: You could say that but if all of a sudden there weren't any sparrows and there were only crows, I'd still be sad there weren't any sparrows.

You're talking like people here are on holiday. They've lived here, some of them, for a generation, some of them for longer. Doesn't that count?

Mark: Are you trying to compare somebody, or a group of people who've lived here for maybe 30 years, to people who've lived here for 40,000 years? There's a vast, vast difference in time scale there, my dear.

:yeees: Someone didn't listen in biology class.

Incidentally, is it just me, or does the one on the right look anything but "ethnically British" by BNP standards?
    Unfortunately, IwS, for a lot of simpler folk those statements would make a fair amount of sense if they are left to stand and are not deconstructed and explained away as the rubbish they are.

So I put it to you that the BNP's appearance on Radio 1 would have won them more sympathisers than they might have lost.

And another step towards the acceptance of the BNP in the collective conscience as a normal, worhty of consideration political party was taken by granting yet another appearance in a national broadcaster to a bunch of racist, fascist cunts.

But hey, apparently it's all important for freedom of speech, so all is well.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Unfortunately, IwS, for a lot of simpler folk those statements would make a fair amount of sense if they are left to stand and are not deconstructed and explained away as the rubbish they are.

So I put it to you that the BNP's appearance on Radio 1 would have won them more sympathisers than they might have lost.

And another step towards the acceptance of the BNP in the collective conscience as a normal, worhty of consideration political party was taken by granting yet another appearance in a national broadcaster to a bunch of racist, fascist cunts.

But hey, apparently it's all important for freedom of speech, so all is well.

Aladdin, I understand your objection to the BNP and I feel the same way, I would rather they weren't around. However, we can't go around banning something because we don't like it no matter how awful it might be. Personally if I was given the choice I'd want to ban anyone from ever reading The Daily Mail or The Express. However, we have to trust people to make their own decisions because we live in a Democracy. I'm not the biggest fan of the first past the post system we use in parliamentary elections but at least it means the fascists are unlikely to gain a foothold in our government.

And with the deconstructing the BNP's arguments point, surely that's going to happen when Griffin appears on Question Time. I can't imagine Labour, The Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats arguing amongst themselves when they have the leader of the BNP on the panel.
    While I wouldn't mind seeing a ban on the BNP, that's not what I've been protesting about recently. I object to what is is nothing more than a band of violent racist thugs being given the prominence and airtime in national radio and television most minor political parties, groups and organisations could only dream of.

The BNP does not deserve to appear on Radio 1 (let alone Question Time on BBC1) any more than your average white supremacist rambling in a dodgy pub. Every time we invite that bunch cunts to join respected political programmes or interview them on national radio we are by default legitimasing them as a normal political party worthy of consideration. That, they are fucking not.