Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Broken heating in rented house

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just went to turn on the heating and the light is going on but the boiler isn't firing up. I live in a rented house with a landlord who won't do a damn thing.

What rights do I have? How long does the landlord have to do repair the boiler? And if he doesn't what can I do?

It's about to get cold! :nervous:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mist wrote: »

Thanks, I've had a look at that but it didn't really answer my question. I thought there was a certain amount of time that landlords had to fix problems that are considered 'urgent', and I thought heating was one of these.

Basically that website says the landlord should do the work but if he doesn't your only option is to take them to court. Or is that the situation :(
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    kangoo wrote: »
    I thought there was a certain amount of time that landlords had to fix problems that are considered 'urgent', and I thought heating was one of these.

Hey, sadly there isn't a specific amount of time - it's just within a 'reasonable' time that isn't actually stated in law. I know it's hard - especially when you've had a negative experience with the landlord so far, but as this has only just happened try not to assume the worst and go through the necessary process to get them to do the work before worrying about legal action. This includes writing a written request for the repairs to be done - you should keep a copy and send my recorded delivery and state in the letter a date by which you expect to hear from the landlord about the progress of the repair - or even a date by which you expect it to be fixed. Make the letter formal and to the point.

If you don't hear from the landlord by the deadline you set then follow some of the steps in Shelters landlord's refusing to carry out repairs article.

I had exactly the same thing last year and it's surprising how the written word - when it's clear you know what you're talking about - makes a difference!

Take care and good luck. :)
    There is (or was). If your heating broke down between 1 sept (possibly 1st oct) and 31 march someone had to come out and look at it (didnt specify repair) within 24 hours of reporting it.

Had a similar problem and someone on here who worked for a housing association told me,
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    There is (or was). If your heating broke down between 1 sept (possibly 1st oct) and 31 march someone had to come out and look at it (didnt specify repair) within 24 hours of reporting it.

Had a similar problem and someone on here who worked for a housing association told me,

This is the sort of guidelines I'm hoping to find! Although I think the rules are different with housing associations and council tenants.

I am reporting it by phone and letter today.

What is a 'reasonable time' to go without heating?
    bet you're glad you made your blanket now :yes:
    bet you're glad you made your blanket now :yes:

LOL it's not finished! It's in about 50 bits! Better get sewing it together! :grump:
    I thought there is a minimum temperature it has to get to before you can officially complain. Might be totally wrong though..