Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

xmas shopping budget

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
* i really do apologise for talking about it this early, i wouldn't but i have to save and my student loan comes next week so i need help*

I am a student and thus skint...but i am also a student that isn't well enough to be doing a part time job (i've been signed off for 6 months), plus i have a rather large overdraft that i need to lower and a credit card bill to pay

i've been really anal and made myself a spreadsheet of who i'm buying presents for, what they might like and how much i going to spend.

there are 15 people on the list, all of whom are either family & inlaws or close friends and most people will be getting handmade pressies or only getting £5 spent on them...but this does still equate to £185...is this excessive or realistic? I'm also going to buy sainsburys basics xmas puds as little jokey presents for uni friends - considering they're only 60p a pop this seems ok...

I am spending £50 on one friend, but this is to make me for me missing her last birthday & xmas & this xmas and her birthday which is in january...i kinda have promised it to her already...

i'm only spending £25 on my boyfriend and my mum (not including postage as she lives in spain and i won't see her till february if not later), everyone else is getting handmade or cheap £5 pressies...

does that seem ok or a cop out?

help! i've never done a proper family xmas before and i'm not sure whats good or not...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cook something. Fudge, coconut ice, toffee, small Creole Christmas cakes (decorated with dried fruits/nuts then glazed so a lot cheaper than royal iced, use a large baked bean tin to bake them in), small Christmas puds, chocolate covered fruits/nuts, frosted fruits/nuts, spiced nuts.
    if youre skint, then spending £50 on one person is way excessive. Even if youve missed stuff before
    Id say that was pretty excessive for a friend even if you werent skint
    Also don't be afraid to buy second hand, charity shops, ebay etc. You can get some amazing stuff at car boot sales for hardly anything, I got a brand new next necklace for 25p last time :hyper: Wrap up in tissue paper and ribbons to make it look special and no-one will ever know where it came from! It doesn't matter how much it costs, if it's nice and the person recieving will like it then it's a winner.
    Also £25 on your mum and boyfriend is quite a bit if you're skint. Surely they would understand?
    i know £50 is quite a lot - its for a set of medical things she needs but i might just buy her the first couple...

£25 is the maximum i will spend on my mum and boyfriend - i may spend quite a lot less cos i might put together a box of little things which they'd enjoy...

rubberskin, do you have any good recipes? maybe i should start a xmas present making thread and we could all share ideas...i don't have loads atm
    That sounds WAY excessive to me. I work and still wouldn't/couldn't spend that much on Christmas.

The only person who gets a proper present is Mr Olive. Everyone else gets homemade stuff.

Last year i made chocs and decorated biscuits and wrapped them in fancy boxes and they were probably the most well received presents I've even given. Bit of effort, but total cost for everyone was under a tenner :thumb:
    I think it sounds excessive too, but it's really up to you how much you want to budget.
    I agree with the charity shop/carboot suggestions.

I also tend to do things like proper, old fashioned sweets that you buy by the lb. If you wrap them up in cellophane (a little goes a long way!) with a bow, they look gorgeous and you can generally get a decent amount for a couple of quid. :)
    Don't forget it's the thought that counts.
    ... Yeah, I'm sure they would be just as pleased with a lovely hand made card and a home baked cake :-) If you don't wanna go down that road, then why not set yourself an over all budget for this christmas and then share it out equally between everyone you need gifts for. ANNNDDD don't forget about shops like TKmaxx- and tradex, dunno if they still exist though! But TKmaxx is nice and cheap :-)
    X
    I also tend to do things like proper, old fashioned sweets that you buy by the lb. If you wrap them up in cellophane (a little goes a long way!) with a bow, they look gorgeous and you can generally get a decent amount for a couple of quid. :)

That's a really good idea, actually. Especially if you could find out what people's childhood favourites were.

*steals idea*
    rubberskin, do you have any good recipes?

I'm Deliaing as we speak !

ETA Silly bitch hasn't got drop tests in her recipes just sugar thermometer. Damn you Delia !!!
    http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/513459

A good CHEAP recipe as it uses milk (use full fat)

Soft ball stage - After te recommended time, drop a few drops of the mixture into a tallish glass of cold water. If it forms a soft ball of fudge that you can squeeze between your fingers, it's cooked.

If you want to add fruit/nuts etc add them AFTER the fudge is cooked or they'll just burn.

When cool, cut into pieces and toss in icing sugar to help stop them getting too sticky and stored in an airtight container.

ETA - Wear an oven glove on the hand you hold the spoon in to stir with. If you get hot fudge on bare skin you'll know about it !
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    I'm Deliaing as we speak !

ETA Silly bitch hasn't got drop tests in her recipes just sugar thermometer. Damn you Delia !!!

I have the same idea with you. Great! Thanks for sharing. :cool:
    Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.:wave: :wave:
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think it sounds excessive too, but it's really up to you how much you want to budget.

I would just set a budget of £20-£30 per person you will save a lot of money that way?:thumb: