Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

which country do you avoid?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
there are countries which are really famous for travelers. which is one country you will never travel?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Never say never, but I'm not especially interested in going to Russia, or any of the Baltic states.
    I wouldnt like to visit any LEDC's
    Hmm I'm not sure really. I think I'd like to give everywhere a go. I used to say Australia never appealed, but then I lived there for a year and I fucking love the place...
    I guess somewhere like Mexico? Has never really appealed, but I'd still go... the places where I've felt most uncomfortable and un-wanted were Doha (Qatar) and Abu Dhabi (UAE) and that was only in the airports, so I'll say the Middle East. I'd still love to travel around there though.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm not much of a traveller, but I'd pretty much never go willingly to any country where the culture is significantly different than mine and as a result things are illegal there that people wouldn't bat an eyelid about here.
    It's not being intolerant, it's mainly for two reasons:
    1)If I disagree with something (example: women have to wear headscarves) and I went somewhere that it's a necessity, it would feel like I'm endorsing these laws by giving them tourism.
    2)In the same way that I expect visitors/immigrants from other countries to uphold the laws of mine when they get here, I couldn't justify going there and not doing the same with theirs.
    Iran
    Australia.
    I wouldnt like to visit any LEDC's
    Just curious, but why?

Some of them are amazing.

I would avoid Kenya/Tanzania now but that's because I've been there *so* many times.
    Afghanistan..........they will still be fighting in 20 years time
    Franki wrote: »
    Just curious, but why?

Some of them are amazing.

I would avoid Kenya/Tanzania now but that's because I've been there *so* many times.

Idk poor quality, most people when traveling want to go to nice/modern places

*most people* i do know of some people who like to visit different cultures etc and they would be included - just not my style though.
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    Afghanistan..........they will still be fighting in 20 years time

haha.

mexico is okay with me.... just not tijuana specifically
    katchika wrote: »
    Never say never, but I'm not especially interested in going to Russia, or any of the Baltic states.

Why?! They are beautiful countys! I've been to Russia and some of the Baltic/Ex-Soviet states a few times and they are stunning!.. It's nothing like what people expect it to be. People don't line up for bread and stuff you know. :razz:

I don't think there is anywhere i wouldn't want to visit, i'd happily go to afghanistan/iran/iraq just to experience it.
    Wales. I know it's not exactly a hot-spot for travelers. But I'd go most places. Wales is pretty and all, I've been there a few times to the green man festival- but it is COLD. and rainy.... It's far to wet for me hehe xx
    X
    Idk poor quality, most people when traveling want to go to nice/modern places

*most people* i do know of some people who like to visit different cultures etc and they would be included - just not my style though.
    Poor quality?! Some of the hotels there are *gorgeous*. Not that you'd be spending much time in the hotels. Plus I find them more interesting than the lying by the pool in the sun holidays.

*shrug* each to their own.
    Franki wrote: »
    Poor quality?! Some of the hotels there are *gorgeous*. Not that you'd be spending much time in the hotels. Plus I find them more interesting than the lying by the pool in the sun holidays.

*shrug* each to their own.

My idea of a holiday is to go relax, thus being usually by a pool, not site seeing or whatever people usually do in the countries im on about.
    Mr CW wrote: »
    Why?! They are beautiful countys! I've been to Russia and some of the Baltic/Ex-Soviet states a few times and they are stunning!.. It's nothing like what people expect it to be. People don't line up for bread and stuff you know. :razz:

I don't think there is anywhere i wouldn't want to visit, i'd happily go to afghanistan/iran/iraq just to experience it.

I don't imagine people do line up for bread. I just have no interest in those countries, language or culture. I also don't like being cold.
    It's actually very, very hot in the summer, much warmer than it is over here. :)
    France! I don't think i need to justify why!
    I don't imagine people do line up for bread. I just have no interest in those countries, language or culture. I also don't like being cold.

Where I lived in Russia gets up to 35 / 40 degrees celcius in the summer. That hot enough for you?

Russia has some gorgeous beaches, especially around the Black Sea where I was. Lake Baikal in Siberia is also meant to be especially beautiful in the summer.
    Nowhere where I can get the death penalty if someone pants drungs in my suitcase. I remember that being a storyline in Brookside. Caused nightmares as a kid.
    Where I lived in Russia gets up to 35 / 40 degrees celcius in the summer. That hot enough for you?

I don't like cold winters. Regardless of whether it's hot in summer.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't like cold winters. Regardless of whether it's hot in summer.
    That's why I'll never visit the UK in winter as long as I have a choice. :p

Russia has some gorgeous beaches, especially around the Black Sea where I was. Lake Baikal in Siberia is also meant to be especially beautiful in the summer.

Where you live? Odessa? It's beautiful down there!

Yeah I hate UK winters, they are so long and miserable. My life and general mood has improved so much now I live in a country with a decent climate. This summer seems to have lasted forever.
    I think I'd generally avoid the Middle East, except maybe to change planes on the way East.

Same here. the people as well are cold during this season
    johnny_mac wrote: »
    Same here. the people as well are cold during this season

What about autumn??
    X
    I suggest to avoid russia and colombia!
    France! I don't think i need to justify why!

why?
    My idea of a holiday is to go relax, thus being usually by a pool, not site seeing or whatever people usually do in the countries im on about.

Different strokes for different folks mate.
    I personally like to do a bit of both, I do agree that holidays should have some element of relaxtion...could be by a pool, could be a beach or even in the countryside somewhere beautiful if the country isn't a hot one. But I also enjoy sight seeing, experiencing different culture's, trying the local food and taking in the scenery of the place. I'd feel a bit cheated if I spent shit loads of money on a holiday to somewhere amazing, only to spend the whole 2 weeks by the swimming pool of my all inclusive hotel, which may aswell be in England but with warmer weather.
    Ideally, a holiday for me would incorporate all of the above...aswell as excessive drinking and going out.
    But it depends on the type of holiday too. Obviously what I'm looking for in a holiday would be different if I was going on a lads holiday to Ibiza for 2 weeks, than if I was spending 4 months travelling Eastern Europe and Russia with people I meet along the way. But I'd thoroughly enjoy both.
    Wales. I know it's not exactly a hot-spot for travelers. But I'd go most places. Wales is pretty and all, I've been there a few times to the green man festival- but it is COLD. and rainy.... It's far to wet for me hehe xx
    X
    thats what i love about wales...its a different kind of rain there you see...

places i would avoid - east london, essex, bornemouth, northern france, southern spain (and yes my mother does live there, and no thats not the reason i avoid it), congo, ivory coast, algeria, somalia, saudi arabia, yemen, oman, pakistan, china, indonesia (with the exception of bali), papua new guinee, brasil...

mainly on human rights grounds for most of them...